cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Issues

KathyN
Level 3

I had issues with my Backup Exec server and had to install a new scsi card and cable.  Backups with new tapes are now working.  I need to do a restore from a tape that was created before the scsi card was replaced.  First it asked for the tape to be imported.  That worked fine.  But the restore sat in a queue for hours.  so then, after reading other forums, I decided to inventory the tape.  That worked fine.  Same problem.  I rebooted both the VXA Packetloader/tape drive and the server.  Same problem.  I again needed to import the tape.  That worked fine.  I again tried inventorying the tape.  Now the tape reads as cleaning media.  I really need to restore from this tape.  Any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Same drive on the new server?   if not is it possible that the new drive is incompatible with the old tapes?

Make sure that the Robot has a higher priority than the drive

Also see  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/306218.htm

KathyN
Level 3

Same drive.  Only thing that changed was the scsi card and cable.  But it did recreate the autoloader in BackupExec (gave it a new name) and kept the drive name intact.  None of the tapes from before this work.  Same thing.  Wants the tape to be imported.  I import.  Then it again asks for it to be imported or it sits in the queue forever.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Gosh, I hope that the tape isnt bad and BE last wrote to it as if it were a successful backup. :(  

Do you think you can try other older tapes to verify if any tapes prior to the SCSI card swap work?

KathyN
Level 3

I tried a tape from the week before this one that had the same backup to it and it is giving the same problems.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Have you tried cataloging the tape again? If not please do so.  Also makse sure the tape drive and tape are of same type( I mean lto 3 tape and lto3 drive)

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

re: But it did recreate the autoloader in BackupExec (gave it a new name) and kept the drive name intact.

Kathy, Did you delete the old autoloader in BE?  It sounds like BE is confused about your hardware now.  If needed, I would disable and delete all your tape drives and loaders, then restart BE services and let it re-discover everything.