cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore LTO2 Backup Tape from Exec 2010 onto LTO3 server running Backup Exec 2012

JaneG
Level 2

We upgraded from Backup Exec 2010 using LTO2 tapes to Backup Exec 2012 using LTO3 tapes some time ago. I need to view archived data from the LTO2 tape, should this be possible? When I put the tape in it says 'no media in drive' but I was under the impression the tapes were backwards compatible for up to 2 versions? Any help greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Go to that particular tape and then run the restore from it. Also make sure the date range for the restore is correct...Backup Exec likes to select some random date instead of the date on the tape.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, should be possible. Tapes are backwards compatible.

What kind of drive do you currently have ? Is it an LTO3 drive ?

What if you run and inventory on the drive ?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you ran an inventory & catalog of the tapes ?

JaneG
Level 2

Thank you for responding so promptly. Yes, its and LTO3 drive and by running Inventory & catalogue it now sees the tape, however how do i now read what's on there? The data is from 2012 but when I try 'Restore' it shows me only recent backups, not what's on the actual tape?

JaneG
Level 2

Thank you, yes, it now sees the tape, however how do I now see what's on the tape. It's from 2012 but when I try 'Restore' it's only listing recent backups, not what's on the tape?

CraigV

Go to that particular tape and then run the restore from it. Also make sure the date range for the restore is correct...Backup Exec likes to select some random date instead of the date on the tape.

Thanks!

JaneG
Level 2

Ah ha! the dates did it, thank you!

CraigV

Something I put in as an idea to change and nothing has been done about it. I've had BE select dates in the 1970s for a restore...