Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Master SQL database to DR site

pfernando
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi there,

I need to perform restoration of SQL master database to another location. I have BEWS 2012 on the Disaster Recovery site. My current storage is in my hard disk(lets call it Storage 1). My plan is to copy my backup from Storage 1 to the DR storage (lets call it Sotage 2) Is it ok if i just copy the backup from Storage 1 to Storage 2 then run an inventory and catalog before restoring the SQL Master DB? Is restoring the SQL Master DB just the same as restoring flat file? Or is it different? What are the things i need to consider before doing the restoration? Need your inputs on this.  

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim per http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH176061

• File system copies of B2D data is valid for complete Media Server DR, in situations where the recovery plan does not introduce inconsistencies, as the inventory and catalog data is also unavailable (or is a consistent copy) in DR situations.
  • In planning for a complete Media Server DR, Symantec suggests copying the catalog folder, and a dumped copy of the BEDB, when copying the B2D data. This provides a consistent set of data for a DR operation, minimizes the need to run catalog jobs, and maintains the media set relationships.

So if the DR site does not run any backups & if you load a blank BEDB prior to each restore, then copying the B2D files can be considered.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. No, don't copy the data...create a duplicate job to duplicate the backup from the production site to the DR site. Ideally you need the ESO option with CAS installed and licensed.

2. You'd then run a Catalog job and restore thereafter.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

Have a look @ this KB:

About restoring the SQL master database - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73859

pfernando
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi there Craig V and VJware,

Thanks for sharing your inputs. 

First of all, there is no network to connect the DR from the Main office.

So, restoration will be done manually. Manually, in a way that a copy of the Master SQL database will be copied and will be brought to the DR Site. From there, we will begin the restoration.

VJware,

I have already read the article.

What if the master database is not damaged? Could we copy the master db to Storage 2, do an inventory and catalog then restore it? Do we need the same version of the SQL and OS for this kind of process?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

If you have the Agent ofr Database and Applications, then you can use that to backup the SQL instance to the B2D. Otherwise dump the DB using SQL itself, and backup the output to disk.

In a DR situation, take the disk to the remote site, add the B2D onto the remote media server and Inventory/Catalog it before restoring the necessary data.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

Same version of SQL (including SP level) and same OS is recommended.

pfernando
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks again for the inputs Craig and VJware.

Yes we have Agent for Apps and DB. Do we really have to take the whole storage (Storage 1) to the DR site?

Its gonna be a monthly practice. So i dont think bringing Storage 1 to the DR site would not be posible.

Do you have any idea what would happen if we just copy the backed up file to the other Storage then run an inventory and catalog? wouldnt it work?

Same version of SQL (including SP level) and same OS is recommended.

Noted VJware.

VJware
Level 6

Verbatim per http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH176061

• File system copies of B2D data is valid for complete Media Server DR, in situations where the recovery plan does not introduce inconsistencies, as the inventory and catalog data is also unavailable (or is a consistent copy) in DR situations.
  • In planning for a complete Media Server DR, Symantec suggests copying the catalog folder, and a dumped copy of the BEDB, when copying the B2D data. This provides a consistent set of data for a DR operation, minimizes the need to run catalog jobs, and maintains the media set relationships.

So if the DR site does not run any backups & if you load a blank BEDB prior to each restore, then copying the B2D files can be considered.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Here is what you need to do.

1) Take a look at the job log of the backup job that you going to test on your DR site.  Identify the .bkf files that are used in the job and copy them onto another disk

2) At your DR site, clear out the Catalog directory under the BE installation directory.

3) Go to the BE installation directory and use BEUtility to load an empty BEDB.

4) Create a new disk storage and copy the .bkf files into this disk storage.

5) In the Storage tab, right-click on the disk storage and then inventory and catalog the disk storage.

6) You then do a re-directed restore of your SQL database to whatever SQL instance that you have at the DR site.  There is no need to restore the Master database.