cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barcode Association

Level 3

We currently use BEX2012 and using RTM BEX 2014 - we are implementing a new Barcode usage and from what i have seen so far on software (both) and on forums etc you cannot create rules to indicate that a certain barcode should be associated with a certain job.

For Example; Prefix of FW (eg Full Weekly) cannot be associated with Full Weekly job....

Other software allows this such as CommVault so im a tad baffled as to why this cannot be done or whether its simply me missing something.

Yes i know BEX uses media sets (BEX also ignores media sets in some situations). Wanted to implement a structure which basically said...if Job eq "Full" then look for Barcodes "FW...."

If the software cant handle this do i need to look at pre scripts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Seems like a half hearted solution of using Barcodes in BEX from what i can see so far.

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Barcode rules are typically setup for use in a RL with mixed tape drive types to prevent a particular type of tape (for egs LTO5)  from being used in a different type of drive (for egs LTO4)

BE does not actually ignore media sets, however tapes can move in between media sets & that depends upon lots of factors such as media set properties, media protection etc. This is a pretty good KB explaining how a tape is picked up - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73320

Inversely, if the goal is to use a specific tape for a specific backup job only (without depending much on media sets), you can consider partitioning the RL. Here is a KB about partitioning - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73442

Level 3

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have looked at the partitioning but that would assume tapes are placed into correct slots every time does it not?

so for example if you had 48 slot autoloader and you have Daily jobs for slots 1-10 then you need to place the tapes into these slots manually every time?

is there a possibility of using pre-script commands - so for example saying check slots for barcodes if not eq to "FW*" the error and stop?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

For Example; Prefix of FW (eg Full Weekly) cannot be associated with Full Weekly job....

I don't think you can do this directly.  But if you have the resources, I think you can do it indirectly.

You would need to essentially dedicate 1 (or more) tape drives to this process.  That drive would have bar code rules configured to allow it to only use "FW" tapes.  Then the appropriate jobs would be targetted to this "FW" drive, which would lead to the use of "FW" tapes.

so for example if you had 48 slot autoloader and you have Daily jobs for slots 1-10 then you need to place the tapes into these slots manually every time?

Yes, when doing the import or bulk load, the tape operator would need to know what tapes (or types of tapes) to place into what slot range.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Barcode rules are not meant to do what you are trying to do.  If "indirectly" use them for your purpose, it would be very confusing even for a person well-versed in BE.

Although you can achieve what you are trying to do with partitions, a well-defined media set will do just fine.  Without partitions, the tapes can be placed in any slot.

No.  You cannot use any pre-command to do what you are trying to do because the tapes are not allocated at that stage.

I think you should abandon the idea of using a specific range of tapes for a specific job.  BE is just not designed to do this.  You should get used to the idea of using media sets to direct your jobs to a certain set of tapes.  In your case, create a media set for your full weekly job and then associate the tapes that you want for the job with this media set.  You can even label your tape in whatever way you want.  The media set is the "rule' that you are seeking.

Why can't your backup sets go on any tape?  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape