cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Permssions to Different Server

redman71
Level 2

Hello,

I have a file server that I'm looking to move the folders/files to a different server.  If I choose to restore to a different location, will the permissions/attributes/acl's move over with it?

Thank you,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

redman71
Level 2
2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I think they will be restored as long as the new server is in the same domain as the original - why don't you try it with a test folder (containing some files) that has some obvious unique ACLs on it.

I am not 100% sure but there may be some issues if the permissions were inherited and you did not restore the folder object they were inherited from as part of the selections.

You also need to be aware that this answer is about File System ACLs if you are asking about restoring share level ACLs then no as these are part of the system state of the server and not the file system and you cannot redirect restore parts of the System State.

I should perhaps point out that we are to really designed as a migration product and a full DR restore would usually be back to the same server (or a server of the same name etc)

redman71
Level 2

OK..thanks!