cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore and redirect user folder from shadow copy component

Rob3314
Level 3

Hello all, I hope someone can help me out.  I am testing our firm's backup to make sure restore procdures are tested and documented.  My test to restore user folders from the shadow copy component have not been successful.  I am using v2010 of backup exec.  Here are the steps to my restore process.

First I start a new restore task in BE2010, I expand Shadow Copy Components, select a backup, continue down the DFSR folder tree untill I get to the user folders.  Next I select a random user folder and select redirection to go to C:\Temp.  I left everything else as default and tell it to run.

The job starts and percentage complete indicate 100% however the job never ends (Left it running for 6 hours to restore 2MB).  I checked C:\Temp and there is nothing there.  There are no errors.  The job status sits there on "Running" the whole time.   Any help on what I've missed would be appreciated.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Please refer to this technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135096 : DFS restore jobs in Backup Exec 2010 may appear to hang and take a extended amount of time to restore the DFS files

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

AmolB

Have you taken backup on the disk or tape? Do you see any alert in the alerts tab.

Rob3314
Level 3

The backup is to disk.  Alerts show that 2 files were skipped but they are not part of my restore test.  I could restore files from the same bkf file if it was something from the C drive. The user folders are located in the shadow copy component area.  Those I am having trouble restoring.

Sush---
Level 6

Please check the Job log to see if there are any exceptions during the restore. I think that the restore are getting successfull but they are going back to the original location and not to the C:\TEMP which you have selected.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Rob3314
Level 3

I ran another test last night.  I restored a text file about 1kb in size.  This morning I came in and the restore was successful however the job took 1hour 27minutes.  Is it because of DFSR that makes it take so long?  Restoring a file from C using the same backup job was a lot faster.

Sush---
Level 6

Please refer to this technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135096 : DFS restore jobs in Backup Exec 2010 may appear to hang and take a extended amount of time to restore the DFS files

Thanks,

-Sush...

Rob3314
Level 3

I marked this as solved a little prematurely.  The hotfix 144101 requires hotfix 150096 to be installed first.  hotfix 150096 is for BE2010 rev 4164.  I'm on BE2010 rev 2896.  Should I apply hotfix 150096?

AmolB

You cannot apply 4164 hotfix to 2896 and vice a versa.

Rob3314
Level 3

Thanks, that's what I'm afraid of.  Hotfix 144101 does say it applies to rev 2896 however I'm confuse how to apply said hotfix if I can't install 150096 which is a pre-requisite.  Here's a follow up question, is rev 4164 an upgrade or newer version that is purchased?  If I can upgrade rev 2896 to 4164 then this would all be so much simplier.

Sush---
Level 6

You can upgrade to BE 2010 version 4164 (this is BE 2010 R2) . This is much improved version than BE 2010 ver 2896.

Also its a free upgrade means you do not have to purchase any further licenses if you already have the licenses for BE 2010.

You can downloand BE 2010 R2 from www.backupexec.com and then perform the upgrade.

Thanks,

-Sush...