cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore both C and D drive to C drive while keeping shares, permissions

George_Corder
Level 2
I have a WIN2K server RAID 5 with BE 10.x. I have too small of a partition for drive C. I want to fdisk and make one partition (C) and restore all of my backup with sys state to C drive. Will my shares and permissions stay intact? What about the programs that were installed to D? Will the registry see that they reside on C drive after this restore?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
On the shares side you should be fine. Just ensure "Restore Security" is ticked in the Restore Job properties.

As for the Registry restore, I would recommend doing an IDR for the server to be 100% sure. Restoring over the registry is not ideal and you could be left in trouble afterwards.

Just my 2 cents
Gilly

George_Corder
Level 2
Thanks Gary but does IDR mean intelligent disaster recovery?

I am not sure by "Restoring over the registry is not ideal..." what you mean. I will be formatting the RAID array and installing the OS and everything. Could you provide a gross overview of what steps you would take to perform this task of restoring a C and D drive restore to drive C only.

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Hi George.

Yes I meant Intelligent Disaster Recovery. I feel its the best method to use for what your doing.

Even though you'll be rebuilding the server from Scratch you will still, i presume:
-Install the OS again
-Install Backup Exec or a Remote Agent
-Recover your data including the registry and therefore recover over what's there.

I am simply implying that I have gone down this road and had 1 application that did not come back properly. That situation did not involve restoring two drives back to one!

As for what I would do here i'm afraid i'll leave that to a Symantec Employee to answer. I have never done what your trying to do so it would be unwise for me to advise you in this instance. Tread carefully my friend and best of luck! :)

Gilly