cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore by date

FireJoe
Level 3

I am looking to do a broad seep restore on a share on the netowkr that I have a good backup of but some of the files were changed since the date of the wanted restore. The business does not want to loose any of the data that has changed there but wants to overwrite all otherdata thats older than a date (ex: 21/May/2014) with what is on the tape backup. As I have done many restores I am not finding the option to restore files older than... and then overwrite them. 

Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I don't think this exists. I know you can archive files past a certain date, as well as exclude them from backups, but I have also never seen this option for restores.

Your other option is to restore to a different location, and then filter/copy those files that you require to be overwritten.

Thanks!

FireJoe
Level 3

We have done a restore of the data to another disk and we have been copying files and directories that have bene identified already. What we have run into is that a user asked for a file to be restored in a directory of about 20. Then another user asks for another file in the same location. Now we cannot do a blanket restore but I want to identify what the files are that are from a specific date so I can restore only those files. This being so we do not overwrite current file data with older data for the same file. 

If not Symantec then maybe another vendor or product can assist with Symantec?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We have the ability to recreate any missing files and restore anything where the file on tape is newer than the one it is overwriting which assuming you make your restore selections from the backup set from 21st May would get close to what you are after.

EDIT: The restore wizard eventually provides a dialog with a choice for "Restore existing files"

and gives

"Restore over existing files" (this would overwrite everything and ignore any dates, but would not touch any brand new files created since the backup.)

"Skip if the file exists" (this would only restore deleted / missing files)

"Overwrite the file on disk only if it is older" (as long as you build your restore selections from a backup set with the date you are interested in this will not overwrite either files that were unchanged since the backup or those that have been updated but will overwrite any that report as older then the version in the backup - this is the default choice. It will also restore files that are deleted/missing since the backup.)

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...not too sure on that really. Google would be your answer here. Something that catalogs what is in a particular folder and then sorts through it.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Before you use these restore options, read my Idea below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/overwrite-file-disk-only-if-it-older