cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore data on a different folder/server

Level 2
I make a backup of a file (30 Go) on an Ultrium tape from a server.
I want to restore this file on a different server. The original file is still in used on the first server (this file is a SQL backup incremented each hour by transactions journals).

The job is running correcly until I have a message : "Can't access -emplacement on the first server-".

It seems that Backup Excec wants to write also on the first emplacement where the file is modified each hour. Is it true ?

How can I implement my restore in order to restore my backup from the tape directly to the second server?
4 REPLIES 4

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Are you trying to do a redirected restore? What are you exactly restoring? Are these the transaction logs?
You can refer to the following technote which might help you in the restore:

Title:How to restore SQL 2000 databases using a database backup in Backup Exec 9.x
http://support.veritas.com/docs/262171

You can additionally refer to the administrator's guide pages 1018- 1040. you can get a soft copy of the admin manual from the following link:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/266190

In case this does not help you, you can write back to the forum with details regarding the exact error message and also the procedure you follow for the restore.

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Regards.

Level 2
The file is not actually the Transaction LOG.
It is an SQL Database Backup I do every morning and I also increment the file every hour with the backup of the log.
I do a backup of this file every midday on a media.
As the file is big (~35 Go), I can't copy it from the Network.
This file is located on the D:\ Disk of the SQL Server (and is backuped with BackupExec from this place) and I want to restore a copy of this file from the media to an other server.

The procedure I make is the following :
- Open Backup Exec
- Clic on restore
- Look after the file in the arborescence : select my band and after the\\SQL Server\D:\File.BAK
- in the redirected window, select \\OTHER SERVER\D:\

The process goes on (I see the file on the second server), and I get an error message : "Can't Access \\SQL SERVER\D:\FILE.BAK.

But this process works with small files which are not used.Message was edited by:

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

You can redirect the following:
â—† A database backup to a different server, database, or instance.
â—† Differential and log backups to wherever the associated database is restored.
â—† One or more filegroups in a backup to a different server or instance. Filegroups can be redirected to a different server, but the database file paths cannot be changed. For
example, if the filegroup was backed up from :\SQLDATA, then it must be restored to G:\SQLDATA, even if it is redirected to another server. Filegroups must be restored
to the same drive letter and path that they were backed up from.

Ensure that the above criteria are correct and then perform the redirected restore. Please ensure that the drive letter is the same.

However if these conditions are true, please send us the exact error message.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be

marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.