cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore failure in 10.1d

Chris_Zelek
Level 2
I didn't want to hijack another guy's post but I wanted to quote a followup question posted in his thread that may be very close to my issue:

----------------------------------
Sam Cayze
Re: Restore Fail
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:24 AM Mar 15, 2007 9:24 AM Ken Putnam Reply

In the Job Log, are ANY bytes of data exchanged at all? or is it zero?

If it's around 300 bytes, be sure ALL firewalls are off.
----------------------------------

Here, I'm running two backups a night -- one disk-to-disk, the other to an LTO2 tape. Both complete fine. I can pull restores off the disk-to-disk, but the tape restores always fail. Virtually every time they fail, they restore 160 bytes (generally the first folder, but only the folder itself) and then fail.

However in this case, everything is taking place inside of our firewall. I've made certain BackupExec is running as our full admin account, so while the odd results might seem to indicate some kind of permission error, I don't see how that could be possible. Also, when it returns an error code, it's one that doesn't exist at all in the knowledge base ("Unknown Error" -- V-79-65535-34036.

Given that we only keep our disk backups for 3 days, not being able to restore anything from tape is a pretty big concern. I've already removed and totally reinstalled the drivers, and even swapped out a different cable and tape drive -- no change.

Any ideas? Any help would be highly appreciated.
Chris.
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just for grins, have you tried DUPLICATING one of your disk backups to tape and restoring from that?

If it does work, this would be more of a workaround, but at least you would have backups on tape that you could restore from

tom_garrity
Level 3
Communications issues are possible.
Do not use the SCSI port on a RAID controller to connect a tape drive (see KB).
Drivers & firmware must be up to date.
Do you have searchable items in your Event Logs?

Chris_Zelek
Level 2
There's a SCSI controller in the server for the tape drive. I've already updated the device drivers to the latest from the knowledgebase links on Symantec's site. Server is running Win2K3 SP1.

The system event log just shows an error 34113 when a restore fails, and I've been through the generic error-type messages that pop up from that which may have even the tiniest connection with this, but no help.