Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from Backup Exec 8.0 Tapes

Zerakus
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello again,

I have one simple question.

Would it be possible to restore from VERITAS Backup Exec 8.0 Tapes? Now I use Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP1.

Or I have to install the old VERITAS Backup Exec 8. But the problem is, we do not have this version any more.

Any ideas? Thank you for your help.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

It shouldn't be too much of a hassle. I doubt that the backup methodology has changed much between versions.

Inventory the tape, then catalog it and make sure your restore dates are correct.

Otherwise download the trial version of BE 10d on the link below, install on another server it at all possible, and you won't have a problem then...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH44023

Thanks!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Well BE8.0 is a very old version and it used to have different format of catalog files.

Not sure if BE 2010 R3 will be able to recognize that format but still you may give a try.

Insert the tape in the drive perform an inventory and then run a catalog job.

Not sure if the hardware will be able to read old tapes.

Zerakus
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you for your answers. I think I will try it with Backup Exec 10d. I will let you know if it has worked. I will try it in the next 2 weeks.

manojmsr
Level 2

Hi,

i think it should work. try to catalog the tape, if it is able to read catalog then u can able to restore the data from old version backup.

regards

manoj

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You might find NTBackup (on a 2003 server) can read a 8.0 tape (as long as it is just a file system backup and no media passwords enabled). Basically the tapes use the MTF format which is what NT Backup is also based around.