cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot Disk Symantec Exec ??

Erick_Tiquicia
Not applicable

Hello,

I'm using Symantec Exec and I want to know if is possible to create a Boot Disk?

A few minutes ago I finish to create a full backup, and now I want to restore it but in a different server, but I  don't know how to start a Exec session in the backup server. I'm not sure if this full backup is the same that an image of the server, that's what I want to test.

I'm not sure if it's possible.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Consider using the IDR option...The admin guide would contain detailed info about the IDR ( Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option )

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I'm not sure if this full backup is the same that an image of the server, that's what I want to test.

No, it is not an image.  However You can completely rebuild/restore the server using the backup

If you restore the full backup to another physical machine, you would wind up with two computers with the same name on your network

You can, however redirect restored data to a second physical server 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

if you want to do image backups you should probably investigate Symantec System Recovery (SSR) which is a separate product and has a recovery disk.

Backup Exec is a file level backup product (with exceptions for a couple of options i.e. VMware)

As such it can recover a server using IDR (as mentioned above) however if something like SQL or Exchange is involved then it is a multi-stage restore process to get back the application as well as the operating system.

Also the SSR recovery is more capable of handling changed hardware than the IDR process is. Note for BE 2012, IDR has been replaced by SDR that does use some of the SSR capability.