cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from System State Backup

goldleader80
Level 3

Im doing some testing on restoring a Windows Server 2008 that is part of a domain and is backed up by Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 as a remote agent.

Now for this i have a full backup of the server and have deleted entries in the reg and deleted most of the system32 folder, rebooted the server and it won't boot as it cant find the boot partition.  So the server is now dead and can't do anything.  Now i was hoping since i have a System state backup i could just follow the BackupExec 2010 Admin Guide steps to retore the server to working order, this is the steps i followed:

- Booted from Windows Server 2008 disk and formated the C:\ and reinstalled Windows.

- Left the server as part of a Workgroup and didn't connect it back to the domain.

- Renamed it the same name as the server that was dead.

- Disabled the windows firewall

- Created a local account that matched one on BackupExec Media server as the normal service account won't work as its not part of a domain yet.

- From BackupExec Media Server reinstalled the Media Agent on the new server.

- From BackupExec Media Server created a new restore job selecting the system state of the server and the C:\ and the Shadow Copy Components.  Also under the General Options ticked the Restore over existing files, Restore security, Preserve Tree.  Also checked in the Resource Credentials and all Passed.

- Selected Run now and the job starts and also starts transfering data but gets to about 14% and a message appears stating that the server with the remote agent on needs to be restarted and then another error message saying that the Media Server can't connect to the media agent on the remote server and has failed, and i haven't even restareted yet like it asks.

- So i restarted the server to be restored and it reboots but is not restored to the previous state.

Am i going wrong somewhere, i have followed Symantecs instructiosn to the letter but can't seem to get a System State restore to work.  And also wonder how it will work because if i create a new Backup Job i see 2 servers with the same name one is the original server that is part of the domain and the other is the new server which is in a workgroup, so how will BackupExec know i want to put the system state on this new server?  Also file redirection doesnt work for system state restores.  Im stuck please help.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

On the remote server, right click on "My computer" go to properties and then click on

Computer Name->More->Change. In the Primary DNS suffix enter the domain name.

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH62466

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

AmolB

In the restore job what is the order of the resources, make sure the you 1st restore the C drive

and then the system state. In the restore window check the resource order tab.

goldleader80
Level 3

Thanks for the reply

Im using BackupExec 2010 R2 and can't find a Resource Order Tab in the Restore window.  Do you mean do 2 seperate restore jobs, one for the C:\ and then one for the system state?

AmolB

The resource order tab is on the left top corner of the restore window

goldleader80
Level 3

Sorry AmolZeroCool i must be a bit dumb but i can't see it anywhere, on the top left all i see is Source with selections, Resource Credentials and Device under followed by Destination and Settings options?

AmolB

My bad the resource order option is available in the backup window :(

goldleader80
Level 3

Ok no problem, thanks anyway

AmolB

As troubleshooting you can1st restore the C drive and then in the 2nd job restore the System state

Reboot the server and then check the results.

goldleader80
Level 3

Will Try that now and let you know.

goldleader80
Level 3

Ok i have tried that and i get back the error that it is unable to attach to the resource.  When i look at the job log it is tring to retore to the server that is in the domain and not the workgroup server.  Its no wonder it can't restore because that server doesnt exist.  So how going by Symantecs instructions does the Media Server know which server to send the restore to.

AmolB

On the remote server, right click on "My computer" go to properties and then click on

Computer Name->More->Change. In the Primary DNS suffix enter the domain name.

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH62466

goldleader80
Level 3

That has fixed the C:\ problem and the restore completed fine im now doing a System State restore and will let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the help i wonder why the step about adding the DNS Suffix isn't in the admin guide?

goldleader80
Level 3

Just done the System State restore and it has worked im very impressed.  However would help if Symantec updated there own instructions.

AmolB

Cheers, do mark the post as solution which helped you to fix the issue.