cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from different Backup Exec server

dave_beau
Level 2

So far I have been unable to get support on an issue that we are having. Recently our company has implemented a data backup and redundancy solution involving Backup Exec and Data Domain deduplication. Our setup works like this: At our main office we have BACKUPEXEC1 server and DATADOMAIN1 is where it stores our backup jobs. The data (jobs) are then deduplicated to DATADOMAIN2 at our other office. We have a second BACKUPEXEC2 server at this office (not fully setup or configured. This BACKUPEXEC2 would only be used for restore purposes in the event BACKUPEXEC1 fails.

My question is how do I setup BACKUPEXEC2 so that it is able to restore files from either DATADOMAIN1 or DATADOMAIN2? Has anyone ever tried to do something similar to this? Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

theseng99
Level 4

You mean BACKUPEXE1 is main site and BACKUPEXEC2 is secondary site? and you want to restore data to BACKUPEXEC2 from you tape backup?

I think you just copy CATALOG file to BACKUPEXEC2

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs\(server name)

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I suspect that if you converted your server in Domain2 to a CASO server, and replicated your backup jobs/catalogs to it this would solve your issue.

dave_beau
Level 2

I did try copying over the catalogs and restarting the services. No dice when trying to restore though.

I did find some documentation online outlining the proper solution. Basically I create a new device and point it at the directory on DOMAIN2. I inventory the file-to-disk device that I've created and once that is done, I catalog the jobs it finds. My issue is that I've tried cataloging the jobs but the jobs are quite large and the cataloging is taking over 20 hours. In terms of disaster recover, this just doesn't work. Should the cataloging be taking this long?

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

When you catalog a medium, the time it takes to catalog should be more or less the time it takes to read the medium. E.g. When I catalog a full LTO2 tape it takes an hour or so.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Any news here?