cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore help

Backup-Admin
Level 3

Hi,

I'm trying to restore a backed up exchange mailbox from tape. I have setup a separate server for restore and the server is not on AD. Does my restore environment need exchange server and active directory?

When I try to setup a restore job, I can see the mailbox I want to restore. Can I redirect that box into a PST or would it restore back to the exchange?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup-Admin
Level 3

I was able to restore the mailbox using the followig steps:

1. Install Server OS
2. Configured Domain Controller
3. Install exchange 2003
4. Install all updates & SP
5. Install tape device
6. Install BackupExec 2010
7. Restore the mailbox (no exchange redirect). Used option to re-create the domain account

Thanks.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

You COULD restore it to a *.pst, but you'd have to duplicate your backup to disk first. What this would do is copy your backup to disk, and show you the *.stm and *.edb files amongst others. Once done, you would have to use a third party application to extract the mailbox out of the *.edb flat file, and into a *.pst.

With BE, you're able to restore into the same mailbox, into a different mailbox on the same server, or into a Recovery Storage Group on another server.

In your case, you'd have to go with option #1 after installing the RAWS agent on that other server. You will have to create a local admin account, and use that to connect. not an easy task.

So, I would recommend:

1. Put that server onto the domain, and install Exchange.

2. Do a redirected restore in Exchange to that Exchange server. I couldn't find a Symantec TN, but here is a video located on Youtube...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j7Hv3nQIec

Laters! 

Backup-Admin
Level 3

Thanks CraigV,

I'll try the steps that you have mentioned.

Thanks.

Backup-Admin
Level 3

BTW,

We also have a license for Lucid 8 software. According to Lucid 8, it can extract a mailbox from an edb file.

So is it possible to restore the edb file using BE? Later use Lucid 8 to extract the mailbox?

Thanks.

Backup-Admin
Level 3

I was able to restore the mailbox using the followig steps:

1. Install Server OS
2. Configured Domain Controller
3. Install exchange 2003
4. Install all updates & SP
5. Install tape device
6. Install BackupExec 2010
7. Restore the mailbox (no exchange redirect). Used option to re-create the domain account

Thanks.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Thanks for the feedback...you can close this off.