cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore of Backup Exec 9.1 Server

DSmith_2
Level 2
Hi, the server we had running Backup Exec Server crashed big time and had to re-install everything from scratch. I've re-installed Backup Exec on the newly rebuilt server.
My question is how can I restore the backup jobs, media, etc. so I don't have to re-program over 100 backup jobs and re-inventory over 1500 tapes?
I was backing up everything on the BE Server and the SQL database instances as well.
Thanks, Don
4 REPLIES 4

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I know this doesn't actually answer your question, but if you'd restored the server from a backup, then all your jobs and media sets would be there.
I'm not sure if you could restore the MSDE database contents on their own. I don't have access to a server right now to test...
H

DSmith_2
Level 2
I tried that but it didn't work. It basically rendered the fresh re-install of BackupExec useless. I tried to restore the entire BackupExec directory, databases, everything, still no luck.
I've drawn the conclusion that you CANNOT restore a BackupExec Server from any kind of backups. You just have to re-inventory, re-catalog, re-create all backup jobs from scratch which I've done already.
I've written down the backup jobs so if this happens again, it will be easier to re-create them.
Thanks for the info though.

This is one of the many reasons why UNIX is so much better. :)

rbalais
Level 3
By default BE does database maintenance everynight, and part of this maintenance is to take a backup of your media sets, job sets etc. If you happen to set the time for the maintenance to occur before your Backup Exec server backup occurs , then you have the most up to date database.

If you have a backup of the whole BE Server then you should have a backup of the Backup Exec Database or known as BEDB. The backup file is called bedb.bak which should be located in C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\Data.

You can follow the instructions in Document 261638. Be sure to stop all the Backup Exec Services first. After the procedure then you can restart all the services.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/261638.htm

Also you should have a backup of your Catalogs directory. It should be located in C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT. You can restore this whole directory from your backup (choose restore over existing files option) if you need to.Message was edited by:
rbalais

DSmith_2
Level 2
Thanks very much for your help.
I hope I can re-pay the favor some day. :)

Don