Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore single mailbox Exchange 2003 sp2 using GRT

Bengy
Level 3
Partner

Dear,

Can anybody point me to a good explanation about restoring a single mailbox.

I have created a full backup of the Exchange server. Do I need to follow the procedure with creating a Recovery Storage group or can I do it another way ?

What do I need to fill in in the redirection settings, without needing to dismount the store.

Mailserver: Exchange 2003 SP2

Backup Exec 2010 R2 SP1 Hotfix 150096

Any help, instructions are welcome.

Kind regards,

Kenny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, if it's on disk already, then there is no need to read the article =)

In theory, you shouldn't have to worry about the temporary staging area with you backing up to disk, but it doesn't hurt to move it to a drive with enough space...do that, and try again!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Was your original Backup performed with Exchange GRT enabled or disabled? (check in your job settings).

If enabled you can simply restore one single item or a folder and so on directly to the users mailbox in the active database.

If disabled you most likely have to restore the whole backup to a RSG and export the needed items from there.

Also check these requirements for GRT backup/restore: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51740

CraigV

Hi Kenny,

If you don't need to create an RSG, don't. It is unnecessary work.

BE 2010 R2 allows for GRT restores from tape, but by default, it stages to disk first. This location is C:\Temp.

Bear in mind that if you have an issue during the restore (say the tape doesn't read the data off the tape fast enough for some really arb reason), the job fails, and you have to start again. This means waiting for the tape to spool up, find where the data is, and then restore.

I prefer duplicating to disk manually, and then running the restore...if you don't know how, read my article below which will explain how to do it!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

Bengy
Level 3
Partner

I know have a full backup on disk with GRT enabled.

So if I understand I can directly restore into the db/store and I don't need to create a RSG.

Do I need to take care about the free space in c:\temp or is this only when I restore from tape?

CraigV

Well, if it's on disk already, then there is no need to read the article =)

In theory, you shouldn't have to worry about the temporary staging area with you backing up to disk, but it doesn't hurt to move it to a drive with enough space...do that, and try again!