cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore to Exchange 2010 DAG does not work

robin23
Level 4

Hi

i tried to restore a few mails to a mailbox but this wont work. Backups are all successful without any errors and i can even select single mails on the restore job (GRT activated). But when i start the recovery job following error message occurs:

Error category    : Resource Errors
Error             : e000846a - The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. 
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.

For addi
tional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33898

we have 2 Exchange Mailbox servers which are in a DAG Cluster (DAGGROUP1). also, we have 2 CAS/HUB servers which are also in a CAS-cluster CASGROUP1). for the loadbalancing we have 2 KEMP loadbalancer (listening to DNS CASGROUP1)

i think the issue is that the needed ports are not forwarded but i cannot find which ports to forward to which server (MBX,CAS)

i am running Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 latest PAtchlevel on Microsoft Server 2008 R2

would be great if someone can help me

thanks a lot

18 REPLIES 18

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Robin,

Have you installed Backup Exec Remote Agent on all the CAS servers in the environment?

It is a requirement that Remote agent needs to be installed on all the CAS servers as CAS is used during the restore and it may use any CAS server.

Also check the job log if it provides the name of the server where it is failing to connect.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Please check the link below as you have mention CAS are in NLB

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH156173

Thanks

robin23
Level 4

Hi

Backup Exec Agent is installed and up to date on all 4 servers.

the error message says:

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Restore- CASGROUP1.contonso.com
Remote Agent not detected on CASGROUP1.contonso.com.

but this is just the loadbalanced DNS (pointing to the KEMPs) for the CAS-Array, you are redirected to one of the CAS servers if you connect there

thanks

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

If you break the load balancing using command given in the link above and then perform restore with the CAS name should work fine & once restore is done you can bring it back in balancing by using the same command and using the virtual name of CAS

Hope that helps

Thanks

robin23
Level 4

Hi

thanks for your help!

the RpcClientAccessServer is set to CASGROUP1.contonso.com as the users should connect to this CAS-Array to be loadbalanced.

if i set this value directly to one CAS server then no loadbalancing is done

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

You have to do it only till restore is done once restore is done you can set it back to virtual node name

Also this issue is resolved in BE 2012 so other way is to upgrade to BE 2012 were you don't have to use the above workaround

Thanks

robin23
Level 4

so if there is no other solution then i have to update to BE2012. will give feedback if this worked

thanks a lot!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

If you use the above workaround it will work too else yes you can upgrade to BE 2012 & update here ,it should work fine

Thanks

Sush---
Level 6

try to perform a redirect restore. And in the redirect restore of Exchange enter the name of one of the CAS server as the Exchange server.

Thanks,

-Sush...

robin23
Level 4

i tried to set the redirect with following options:

check "Redirect Exchange sets"

Restore to server or Database Availabitity Group: \\CASSERVER01

but still the error message occurs:

Restore -- The job failed with the following error: The media server could not connect to the remote computer. The remote computer may not be running the Backup Exec
Remote Agent for Windows/Linux. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

As said earlier you would have to break CAS from NLB and then specify name of CAS server ,once restore is done you can put that back in NLB or else that upgrade to BE 2012 as said earlier and you should be able to do restore

Thanks

robin23
Level 4

ok i executed following command:

Set-MailboxDatabase 2010_small_005 -RpcClientAccessServer CASSERVER01.contonso.com

Get-MailboxDatabase 2010_emea_chbs_small_005 | fl name, Rpc*

Name                  : 2010_005
RpcClientAccessServer : CASSERVER01.contonso.com

(The mailbox which needs to be restored is right now on database "2010_small_005", but the time the backup was taken it was in "2010_small_002")

after executing this cmdlet i tried to run the job again, but still same errormessage

The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.

any ideas?

thanks for your help

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

So while doing redirect restore have you specified the name of CAS server used in the above command

CASSERVER01.contonso.com

Thanks
Sameer

robin23
Level 4

i tried with the "redirection" option to \\CASSERVER01 or \\CASSERVER01.contonso.com with the following error message:

e0000f04 - The media server could not connect to the remote computer. The remote computer may not be running the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows/Linux. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-3844

if i do not set the redirection option i am getting back following error message:

e000846a - The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33898

i checked the Backup Exec Remote Client, it is running and up to date

robin23
Level 4

sorry to come up with this again, has nobody a idea?

has the mailbox to be in the same Database as the time it was backed up?

thanks

robin23
Level 4

sorry to bring this up again, but one final question: is Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 not able to use GRT technology to backup/restore single mails?

Sush---
Level 6

No. The mailbox need not be in the same database when it was backed up. But to restore to the same mailbox you need to have the same mailbox name. Else you can use the redirect restore feature to restore to the required (new) mailbox.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Sush---
Level 6

Backup Exec 2010 R3 has the feature to backup the complete Exchange Information Store and then just restore  a single email / mailbox.

Thanks,

-Sush...