cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore to New hardware

Malcolm
Level 3
I am migrating to a new server with different hardware.  The server is my second DC (running Windows 2003) will the "Merge the existing hardware configuration and registry services with the data to be restored" option allow me to migrate this server to new hardware
11 REPLIES 11

Naved_Ikram
Level 4
Hi Malcolm,

Could you please let me know about the new hardware. What all new/additional components are there in new server in comparision to the old server ?

~Naved

Malcolm
Level 3
Old Server is a clone box wit an intel motherboard  and an Intel® RAID controller SRCS28X

The new Server is a Dell poweredge 2900.

I have actually performed the restore and it works, the process is below

Built new Dell Server (Poweredge 2900) using the Dell installation CD

Partitioned the drives

Installed backup Exec

Restored from tape (last backup of old server) and used the “Merge the existing hardware configuration and registry services with the data to be restored” see below:

I excluded the boot.ini file from the restore as the drive partitioning was different

Rebooted the Server

Server needed reactivating which I did over the phone with a new product key.

Uninstalled all the drivers relating to the Intel Server

Installed the Dell drivers

It has the same name as the old server

Gave it the same IP address as the old server.

A restore from the old server of the data drive is run daily and a backup is run overnight

Roles are:

DC

File and Print Server

DHCP

DNS

WINS

Naved_Ikram
Level 4
Great... Thank you for giving me the steps of what you did.

Cheers!!!!!
~Naved

Malcolm
Level 3
I haven't put the new server in place yet!  wanted to know if anyone else had been through the same procedure

Naved_Ikram
Level 4
The issue arrises when you are not able to restore successfully. But as you mentioned that the new server is up and running there should be no issues and secondly the hardware on which u restored is Identical so i don't think that there will be any issues.

Malcolm
Level 3
The hardware is not identical. 

Naved_Ikram
Level 4
How different is that. Did u restored the System State as well ?

Malcolm
Level 3
Yes i restored the System State

OLD  NEW
Raid Controller Intel® RAID controller SRCS28X Dell PERC 5i LAN Intel® Pro/1000MT Broadcom BCM5708C Video ATI RAGE XL PCI ATI ES1000 Motherboard Intel SE7520BD23S FRU  Dell Inc. 0YM158 A00

The machine is working.  it has not yet been tested as part of our LAN.  I am concerned about the AD implications

Malcolm
Level 3
Yes i restored the System State

OLD  NEW
Raid Controller Intel® RAID controller SRCS28X Dell PERC 5i LAN Intel® Pro/1000MT Broadcom BCM5708C Video ATI RAGE XL PCI ATI ES1000 Motherboard Intel SE7520BD23S FRU  Dell Inc. 0YM158 A00

The machine is working.  it has not yet been tested as part of our LAN.  I am concerned about the AD implications

Malcolm
Level 3
                                  OLD                                                 NEW
Raid Controller          Intel® RAID controller                         SRCS28X Dell PERC 5i
LAN                           Intel® Pro/1000MT                              Broadcom BCM5708C
Video                        ATI RAGE XL PCI                                ATI ES1000
Motherboard             Intel SE7520BD23S FRU                     Dell Inc. 0YM158 A00

Malcolm
Level 3
I have just completed the miugration of a Windows 2003 DC to new hardware.  Below are the stages I went through.  The hardware details are listed earlier in this thread

Ensured that All of the FSMO roles reside on another DC

Built new Dell Server (Poweredge 2900) using the Dell installation CD

Partitioned the drives

Installed backup Exec

Restored from tape (last backup of old server) and used the “Merge the existing hardware configuration and registry services with the data to be restored” see below:

I excluded the boot.ini file from the restore as the drive partitioning was different

Rebooted the Server

Server needed reactivating which I did over the phone with a new product key.

Uninstalled all the drivers relating to the Intel Server

Installed the Dell drivers

It has the same name as the old server

Gave it the same IP address as the old server.

A restore from the old server of the data drive is run daily and a backup is run overnight

Roles are:

DC

File and Print Server

DHCP

DNS

WINS

Ensured that the new server is not connected to the LAN

Ran Dcpromo /forceremove

Renamed the new Server and made it a member of a workgroup.

Removed all references to the OLD SERVER from AD on the LAN.

Added the RENAMED NEW SERVER to the Domain (as a member Server)

Renamed NEW SERVER to OLD SERVER NAME

Ran Dcpromo