cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Exchange 2010 from BE2012

dgagne
Level 2

Recently our Exchange 2010 server had a severe software corruption. I can boot inot the server, but any remote administartive tasks such as Backup Exec fail to communicate. I'm fearing my last option will be to restore from tape backup as this server is effectively unresponsive.

Here is my question: Out backups contain the System State and MS Information Store. Can this safely be safely restored if the server is formatted? Any advice on the proper precedure?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I've done this through BE 2010 R3...we don't run BE 2012 yet.

This was my procedure from a backup-perspective:

1. Reinstall the server with the OS and Exchange and patch.

2. Install BE 2012 and patch if need be.

3. Catalog to the tape if you don't have the Data/Catalogs folders from some sort of backup.

4. Duplicate the backup of Exchange to disk. It's done differently through BE 2012, but my article below should give you some ideas of how it is done.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

5. You then need to consult Microsoft's DR recovery of Exchange on how to bring Exchaneg up from the flat-file.

THanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I've done this through BE 2010 R3...we don't run BE 2012 yet.

This was my procedure from a backup-perspective:

1. Reinstall the server with the OS and Exchange and patch.

2. Install BE 2012 and patch if need be.

3. Catalog to the tape if you don't have the Data/Catalogs folders from some sort of backup.

4. Duplicate the backup of Exchange to disk. It's done differently through BE 2012, but my article below should give you some ideas of how it is done.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

5. You then need to consult Microsoft's DR recovery of Exchange on how to bring Exchaneg up from the flat-file.

THanks!