cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Files Form One Domain to Another Unconnected Domain

Charlie_Kangas
Level 4
Is it possible to take files backed up on one network/domain and restore them on a totally seperate and unconnected network/domain? There is no connection or trusts between the domains. I have some old tapes and an old tape drive from one network. I would like to install that tape drive on a different network and restore some files from the tapes.

The old network used a service account for the BE service and I'm not sure I will be able to find out what that password was. Assuming I can, should I be able to set up the same service account on the new network and restore files?

Thought I would ask before I go though all the work of installing the old drive and setting everything up. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
I think that should be fine. So long as you remember to deselect the options for restoring permissions etc, you shouldn't have a problem, since it will simply restore the files using the permissions where ever you restore the files to. Unless you password protected the backups in the first place you shouldn't have to worry about what the original service account details were.

Keith

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please couls you update on this .

Thanks

Charlie_Kangas
Level 4
I installed the old tape drive. The tapes are password protected. When I try to do a restore I am getting an error that relates to credentials. I am supplying the correct password for the tape on the restore job, but no luck. I should be at that site later today. I will give you the exact error code I am getting then and hopefully we can get this resolved.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does the BackupExec service account have rights to the restore location?

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Could you send us the exact error message please?

Regards
Padmaja

Charlie_Kangas
Level 4
Sorry so slow to respond, finally got back to the site today. I recreated the BUE service account that I had on the original machine that the backups were made on and gave that account the same permissions as the original. I made that account my default logon account for BUE. I also changed the service credentials to use that same account. this is the same way it was set up before.

After all that I was able to do a restore on some data files. So I think it was a matter of permissions.

Kind of a side question, but I will throw it out there if anyone cares to answer. I understand the logon account is what BUE uses to access resources for backup jobs. Do the service credentials need to use the same account specified in logon accounts?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do the service credentials need to use the same account specified in logon accounts?

Not quite sure what you are asking,

If you do not specify "Connect As" when selecting network resources, BackupExec will attempt to connect as the Service Account, so that account must have permissions to the resources.

if you have specified a "Connect As" account, then you must supply the correct password, and that account must have permission on the selected resource.

Charlie_Kangas
Level 4
That answered my question. Thanks.