cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a tape backed up from a Sun server to a

jlc1865
Not applicable

I have a need to restore data from an LTO tape that was originally backed up from a Sun server and a Sun tape library. Unfortunately, the Sun systems are  no longer around ... the backup system was replaced by a Dell loader attached to a Windows system running Backup Exec. Is it possible to restore the data from a tape backed up the Sun system using Backup Exec for Windows?

The data I need is an Exchange database if that matter.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If the Sun server ran Windows, then no hassles. You can duplicate the backup to disk as per my article, and you'll be left with the *.edb and *.stm files amongst others. You can then either restore from disk, or use a 3rd party application to pull information out of the flat-file into a *.pst (like Kernel for Exchange; BE 2012 can also do this).

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If the Sun server ran Windows, then no hassles. You can duplicate the backup to disk as per my article, and you'll be left with the *.edb and *.stm files amongst others. You can then either restore from disk, or use a 3rd party application to pull information out of the flat-file into a *.pst (like Kernel for Exchange; BE 2012 can also do this).

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If the Sun server formatted/wrote to the tape in Tar format and not MTF then there will be nothing BE can do with it. If it wrote in MTF then BE might be able to catalog it, although even this is a long shot.