cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring copy of Exchange 2003 from B2D folder from another BE Server

Daner
Level 2
I have a backup of Exchange 2003 (Copy - Database and Logs) from BE 11.0d B2D folder. After the backup was finished I copied the 300+ gig folder to a USB HD. Now I want to restore that in our testlab, using BE 12.5.

Can I create a an B2D folder on BE 12.5 with the same name and location (D:\folder) I used on BE 11.0d.
Then copy the folder from the USB HD to teh BE 12.5 server, then stop and restart BE services?

I am hoping this would re-catalog the B2D folder, which woudl then allow me to restore Exchange 2003 to my testlab.

Thoughts?

Any suggestions or corrections are appreciated.

Cheers.
6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Daner,

All you need to do is catalog and inventory that folder you already have. Once done, it would have added the necessary data into your BEWS media server's database, allowing you to restore from there.

Laters!

Daner
Level 2
Thanks for the quick reply CraigV,

I connected the USB HD to my BE 12.5 and created a new B2D folder which I pointed to the USB HD folder. Before doing so I renamed the FOLDER.CFG and CHANGER.CFG files to *.OLD, so the new files could be created.

I attempted to INVENTORY the B2D and after it completed, there was no new media or backup, which I could select and restore from.

Also, I didn't have the option to CATALOG the newly created B2D folder.

Thoughts?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
attempted to INVENTORY the B2D and after it completed, there was no new media or backup, which I could select and restore from.

Also, I didn't have the option to CATALOG the newly created B2D folder.

Don't remember which version it was, but at one time you had to inventory each BKF file separately, inventorying the whole Device at once didn't work

Daner
Level 2
But how do I inventory the BKF file, as it's not viewable inside BE 12.5, after creating the new B2D folder, pointing to the copy of the original B2D folder, on the USB HD.

Did I incorrectly make the new B2D (in BE 12.5) folder, and then copy the contents of the BE 11 B2D folder into it?

Thanks in advance.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
But how do I inventory the BKF file, as it's not viewable inside BE 12.5, after creating the new B2D folder, pointing to the copy of the original B2D folder, on the USB HD.

Sorry, trying to do too many things at once this morning  ;)

Not sure where the problem lies, after reading through the thread again

You might try creating a second B2D folder along side the existing one, then copying the BKF files into it, rather than "importing" the whole existing folder into the recovery server

Daner
Level 2
The file structure from the BE 11.0d B2D is as follows:

D:\FOLDER
D:\FOLDER\B2D000001.bkf
D:\FOLDER\Changer.cfg
D:\FOLDER\Folder.cfg
D:\FOLDER\IMG000001 - inside this folder is all the transaction logs and the private information store file, aswell as other files (including some dll files, and text files that I assume BE 11.0d copied from the Production Exchange 2003 server)
D:\FOLDER\IMG000001\vdb_2009_12_23_2153_56 - inside this folder looks like the same 41 transaction logs files, and the information stores EDB and STM files, but with the addition of *.delta at the end of the filenames

To clarify the BE 11.0d is running in the Production environment offsite and BE 12.5 is in my testlab locally.

Currently I'm attempting to copy all of files into my testlab environment's Exchange 2003 server and seeing if I can simply reboot and it will work.

If not, I will have to re-try to get the B2D and USB HD folder working within BE12.5 then restore using BE.

More shortly.