cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scratch media capacity

spansos
Level 2
 Hi guys,

I just tried to used BE 9.0 with an old licence in one of our new site until we buy the new licence for new version and it didn't work.  But I found out that the device was not working properly, so I sent it to Dell and they replaced it to me.  I have a 2600 server, and a DLT VS80 tape device... here is my problem:

Before Dell replaced the device, I used the defective one.  It labeled and set media capacity to 40 GB... but now that I am using the new one, it sets the total capacity to 16 MB!!!!.  Am I doing anything wrong? (but what? when you label media you can't set the total capacity...)  Or do I have to set some jumpers in the tape device?

Spansos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shirmal
Level 5
Hello Spansos,

Easy answer, Ignore the capacity.  Its not a foolproof number that you get.

Some tape drives can accurately report capacities.

For the rest that can't, BE uses educated guess's from when you did the last backup.  So if you last backup to that tape only put 16 gigs on it, BE will report that as the size. 

Try running your backup and verify this is the case for you.
Hope this helps

---cheers

shirmal

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shirmal
Level 5
Hello Spansos,

Easy answer, Ignore the capacity.  Its not a foolproof number that you get.

Some tape drives can accurately report capacities.

For the rest that can't, BE uses educated guess's from when you did the last backup.  So if you last backup to that tape only put 16 gigs on it, BE will report that as the size. 

Try running your backup and verify this is the case for you.
Hope this helps

---cheers

shirmal

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Could be something to do with drivers as well for your version of BEWS. Look at getting the latest version of BEWS 9.0's drivers and install them. Maybe this fixes your issue if it's a concern for you.

Laters!