cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring from Differential that was created in a policy on a different Backup Exec server

ETrosclair
Level 4

Hello

As the title says, I'm attempting to restore a VMware ESX 4.1 VM from a differential restore that was created in a policy. Let me explain the whole situation I'm running into a bit further.

I created a policy on our LIVE Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP3 install that runs full backups on Fridays and Differentials Mon-Thurs. These jobs duplicate onto external USB drives for offsite storage. What I'm attempting to do now is restore some of these VMs on a completely different ESX server using a completely different Backup Exec install on a completely different server at my DR site and I'm running into a strange problem.

The restore jobs fail stating that the logon account does not have valid credentials. I've verified that the logon credentials that the restore job would use on the DR server are correct and I'm actually even able to browse as to what datastore and resource pool I want to restore to. So I'm a bit stumped. Could this be happening because the policy doesn't exist on the DR setup?

I'm thinking I may have to file a case with Symantec but wanted to check with the forum in the event I'm missing something simple.

3 REPLIES 3

ETrosclair
Level 4

Update...

I solved my problem. For some reason, the Resource Credentials that Backup Exec want to use are from the live VMware server. I had a networking problem that was preventing me from seeing the live VMware server from my DR site. Still, however, that's not something that will sit well with me in the event we have a disaster and my main server is unavailable.

Do any of you know of a way to specify which Resource Credentials to use from whichever VMware server you want?

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

What are the other versions of Backup Exec, Windows and ESX server in the DR restore site?  

ETrosclair
Level 4

My apologies for not including the DR site information. I'll actually take it a step further and include my live server information again for your convenience...

LIVE:

Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP3 installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1

VMware ESX 4.1 Build 1198252

DR:

Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP3 installed on Windows Server 2008 Standard 64 bit SP2

VMware ESX 4.1 Build 1198252