cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robotic library Sony TSL-SA300c not detected in BE 12.5

tudortech
Not applicable
I just installed 12.5 (update from 10) and everything went fine except the robotic library was not detected by BE (showed as unknown  media changer in device manager). The drive in the robotic library is seen(in both device manager and BE).  I tried several suggestions from various forums with no success. When I looked in the adamm.log it showed that when the driver was reading from the library it did not get get a serial number and device inquiry properly. I had to switch back to 10 so that we could continue backups. This is  a Sony TSL-SA300C 4 tape autoloader with scsi id set to 3. Any help would be great. Any suggestions may take a while to try as I will have to uninstall 10 and reinstall 12.5. Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Symantec recommends Microsoft drivers for the robotic arm (medium changer), If your medium changer is using microsoft drivers then it will show as " Unknown Medium Changer". I guess your device is TSL-A300C and not TSL SA300

Refer to  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/347420.htm for the latest device drivers.

Also make sure that the tape drive is using Symantec drivers. To update the tape drivers run tapeinst.exe from X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec

teiva-boy
Level 6
If Windows cant properly detect it, Backup Exec can't.

Get Windows to detect it properly, and your problems will be solved.  There is very little to no involvement from BE at this point.

I typically like and use the manufacturer drivers for the robotics, and drives, and dont use the Symantec supplied drivers.  However, Sony has been known to cheap out on driver development, and you sometimes have to use the backup manufacturer supplied drivers.  

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can try the latest BE 12.5 DDI which is available at

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/347420.htm

However, you tape library is not listed in the BE 12.5 HCL which means that it is not supported.  See below

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/306831.pdf

I know it is strange that an earlier version is able to see it.