cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robotic library driver timeouts with HP VS80 autoloader

QCSolutions
Level 3
Hi,

I'm new to Veritas BackupExec, and we're getting problems that I'm not sure whether they are hardware or software.

We have BackupExec v9.1 rev 4691, running on Windows 2000 server, and we're backing up to an HP Storageworks VS80 autoloader tape drive.

Windows device manager shows the following present and apparently working:

• Adaptec 2940U/UW SCSI controller
  • HP VS80 autoloader medium changer
  • HP VS80 tape drive
We're getting problems with the robotic library, where we cannot do anything (inventory, initialize, backups) without getting robotic library driver timeouts.

I have followed most of the troubleshooting procedures listed in "How to troubleshoot issues with a robotic library..." (doc #255501):

• Verified support for library is installed
  • Verified that the drivers are installed and running (have tried both Veritas' drivers and HP's drivers)
  • Checked the event log for issues - have seen various:
Adamm Mover Error: Unload Rewind Retry!
Error = ERROR_SEM_TIMEOUT
Drive = "HP 1"
Adamm Mover Error: Unlock Device Retry!
Error = ERROR_SEM_TIMEOUT
Drive = "HP 1"
Have also seen this, but I don't know what device it is referring to (event ID 9):
The device, \Device\Scsi\aic78xx1, did not respond within the timeout period.
Am also seeing some disk errors (event ID 51)
  • Have checked the device discovery strings match in both ADAMM.LOG and in VSDLoadTable in the registry
  • I deleted and recreated the tape drive within BackupExec - didn't make any difference
The last thing mentioned in the procedure is to delete/restore/recreate the BackupExec hardware database, but I am reluctant to do what seems to be a risky step and lose all my scheduling and media info.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for things I may have overlooked?

Thanks,

Chris

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You Event Log entries indicate a Semaphore Timeout  See http://support.veritas.com/docs/190598  for the trouble shooting guide

The device, \Device\Scsi\aic78xx1, did not respond within the timeout period. 

Would indicate a problem with the SCSI controller itself. 

QCSolutions
Level 3
Thanks Ken,

The document you refer to references a driver installer (version 20050115) which contains a tape driver release 20041231. Should I go ahead and install this?

I see that the document also references service pack 5. Would this help too? And how can I determine if this has already been installed? There is no mention in the Help->About dialog so can I assume it has not been installed?

Chris.

Message Edited by QCSolutions on 04-23-200701:17 PM

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The latest driver pack for v9.1 is at http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853  Can't hurt

As for the SP, if it is not currenty installed the only way that I know is to compare TimeStamps on a couple of files as listed in the SP5 README   SP5 at http://support.veritas.com/docs/286923