cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running catalog on an upgraded 10 server produces error

Jon_White
Level 4
I have recently upgraded a 9.1 BE (on Windows 2000) to version 10 build 5520. I am trying to catalog a tape that was backed up when the system was 9.1 The catalog job completes, but I am getting this error:

(Server: "RDU-EXCHANGE")
(Job: "Catalog 00003")
Catalog 00003 -- The job failed with the following error: The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.

I did an Inventory before I did a catalog, so I am uncertain as to why this error is happening.
7 REPLIES 7

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
It is likely that the tape you are cataloging is part of a backup job that spanned multiple tapes. You'll need to inventory the other 9.1 tapes into your new version 10 server and then run the catalog of the initial tape again-

The media label of the tape your catalog job requires is not contained in the metadata of the tape, but rather only the tape GUID. An inventory of the other 9.1 tapes builds a media database that converts GUID's into media labels.

After you have inventoried the other 9.1 tapes and attempt to re-catalog, hopefully, the catalog job will pause and prompt "please insert tape XXXXX" .

Jon_White
Level 4
This is a small site with not a lot of data, so it only uses 1 tape for their backup. It is not part of a media set. It is also occuring on different tapes - all single tapes with the entire backup on the tape.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just for grins, shut down all BackupExec services, rename the \Catalogs Directory to \Catalogs.old and restart the services

Try inventory and Catalog again.

Jon_White
Level 4
I tried that. At first, I thought it solved the problem. However, I got a different tape that needed to be cataloged. The catalog job ran for over an hour and eventually failed with the message. I tried this fix on the same tape (renaming the catalogs directory) - same result on this tape.

Jim_Bollinger
Level 4
I get this problem whenever I try to catalog a v9 or v10 tape. I can get around by unchecking Tools/Options/Catalogs/Use Storage Media based catalogs.

Chris_Gibson
Level 3
I have this same error, but unselecting that option did not resolve the issue. I have also reindexed the catalogs folder

Jon_White
Level 4
I have found that I have to catalog the tapes serveral times and eventually they seem to catalog successfully. No, it isn't much of a 'fix'.