Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN Backup

cslater
Level 2

Hi

Backup Exec 12.5 on Windows 2003R2

We have a EMC SAN with an attached Hp Storage Works Dual tape unit with 2 LTO4 Tape Drives.

The SAN is connected to the HP Storage Works via a Fiber Channel Brocade switch which is also connected to the Servers.

My Question is we only have a few remote client licenses and 1 Library license and a few open file license.

Do we need a License to back up the 30 terrabyte on the SAN and how many license come with a single library license for the Tape Drives.

Your Help Is very much Appreciated in Advance

Charles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To backup any remote server or device, you would need 1 RAWS licence per server/device, so you would need 1 remote agent licence to backup your SAN.

By library licence, I presume you are talking about LEO licence.  You would need 1 LEO licence for each additional tape drive in a library.  You can have as many library with 1 tape drive as you like, but if a library contains more than 1 library, you need 1 LEO licence for each additional drive in any library.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To backup any remote server or device, you would need 1 RAWS licence per server/device, so you would need 1 remote agent licence to backup your SAN.

By library licence, I presume you are talking about LEO licence.  You would need 1 LEO licence for each additional tape drive in a library.  You can have as many library with 1 tape drive as you like, but if a library contains more than 1 library, you need 1 LEO licence for each additional drive in any library.

cslater
Level 2

Thank you,

I presume that all the SAN drives can thus be backed up directly from the fiber channel and or from the drive mapping through the servers that are connected via the RAWS ?

Thanks

Charles

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. That is correct.