cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN configuration for EMC VNX5300 and celerra 4800 using Spectra logic T120

pvkuday
Level 2

I have a new EMC VNX5300 san box which we are going to connect to another san box Celerra NS4800  directly.
We have spectralogic T120 tape library connected to Celerra NS4800 .So i would like to know the process to take backup using disk to disk to tape(i.e copy data from VNX5300 to NS4800 then copy it to tapedrive using backup exec).We have also purchased NDMP license along with backup exec 2010.Also suggest if we need to use a media server to install the NDMP agent for SAN backup.

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48957  ....specifically the section about 3-way backup

Also, do check the BE 2010's hardware compatibility list - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137050&key=15047&basecat=COMPATIBILITY_LIST&actp=LIST

pvkuday
Level 2

Thanks for your quick reply however the link provided is not working.I have checked the hardware they are all compatible with backup exec 2010.please provide the steps manually if the link is not working. 

VJware
Level 6

Pls try this link - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH49622

If it re-routes back to the Support's home page, simply paste TECH49622 in the search bar..

pvkuday
Level 2

The document looks good however i haven't got a clear idea of d-d-t backup it just has ndmp config.can you give a detailed document.

pvkuday
Level 2

can anyone give any more solutions to this question?

VJware
Level 6

this is what we would call a Filer-to-Filer or a 3-way backup...verbatim from KB - TECH48957

In the filer-to-filer model, often referred to as three-way, the backup server uses NDMP over the LAN to instruct filer A to start backing up data to tape devices attached to filer B via either the same network or a private backup network. During the backup, information about files and directories written to tape is transferred from filer A via NDMP over the LAN to the backup server, where it is maintained in an index.

install the NDMP license...

add VNX5300 from the NDMP node or as an user-defined selection...

add the tape drive attached to NS4800 as a storage device in BE...

Colin_Weaver

Technically 3 Way NDMP means the traffic passes from one NDMP device through another before being written to storage (tape). It does not mean backup up from one NDMP location to storage(disk) on another NDMP location and then copying to tape (D2D2T)

If you want to do D2D2T with BE where the data is held on an NDMP device, then you use a B2D (or possibly DeDup store) on the media server itself as the first backup target and then use a tape library attached to the media server as the duplicate target - which I suspect may not be what you want.

teiva-boy
Level 6

The Spectralogic T120 is a multidrive library.  Why wouldn't you just zone some drives for the new VNX and NDMP directly to it?  And you have a different set of drives that may have to still backup the Celerra.

Thats the best use of a SAN...