cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS 2008 and Backup Exec 12.5 SP3 SBE tape backup causes BSOD

dewjam
Level 2
 I've run into an issue recently on a new Dell PowerEdge T310 with SBS 2008 SP2.  I've been working with Dell primarily since it appears to be a hardware failure.  At this point, we have replaced the Motherboard, LSI SCSI Card and IBM LTO3 tape backup.

I can backup to a USB hard disk without any issues at all, but when I attempt to backup to the LTO3, the server blue screens and reboots at what appears to be random times.  The Dell PowerEdge IPMI log displays a "PCIe Fault on Slot 3" (where the LSI SCSI card is located) and we also receive a minidump file which indicates a PCIe failure when debugged.  I have run an offline hardware Extended Diagnostic which returned no hardware errors.  The IBM tape diagnostics will complete successfully, however the Dell online diagnostics cause the server to blue screen when testing the LTO tape drive.  I have installed 3 different sets of drivers for the IBM LTO3 including Windows drivers and 2 different symantec drivers.  I have uninstalled and then reinstalled Backup Exec 12.5.  

I have just recently started going through each selection on the backup job to try to determine if it's related to a corrupt file or something similar.  What I have found is I can get a backup of the C: partition only if I deselect GRT on sharepoint and exchange, even though I haven't selected either to be backed up.  Once I include the D: partition in the backup, I start getting blue screens again.

This is a new server that was installed at a client site and I know they are getting quite frustrated with the issue.   Not sure where I should go next.  I really don't want to keep triggering this blue screen as I'm concerned we will run into problems down the road with file corruption.  Any ideas in particular?  PERC6i RAID controller?  Memory?
2 REPLIES 2

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

This might be an issue with the TAPE Drivers.

Turn OFF the server and the Drive, disconnect the drive and turn off the server, connect the drive and turn it on, turn on the server and check the device manager for the drivers.

dewjam
Level 2
 Hey there,
Thanks for your reply.  I've actually swapped tape devices for a LTO4 SAS drive.  I still see the BSOD when performing tape backups.  Not sure what the story is, but I'm not convinced its hardware related.  Any other ideas?