Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS 2011 IDR Backup job hangs on system state WMI Part

Loppie
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello all.

At one of our customers we have a Windows SBS 2011 Physical server (HP Proliant ML 350 Gen8). This server backups to a QNAP NAS.

We use Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition. (SP4 installed on this sbs server)

I have created a Full IDR backup job which runs daily. Since a few weeks this job hangs on the system state part specificly the WMI part.

BE has been updated to SP4 all Windows Server updates have been installed and I have rebooted the server multiple times without success.

When I run a separate System state backup it finishes without problems.

What can I do to make this job run again? (I Want to have a Disaster recovery backup for this SBS server.)

thanks!

gr

Leo

13 REPLIES 13

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try this - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/wmi-writer-fails-during-freeze-operation

Loppie
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I ran "winmgmt  /verifyrepository" but the repository reports consistent.

VJware
Level 6

Is the WMI writer in a stable state post the backup failure ?

Any corresponding errors/warnings in the event viewer ?

Loppie
Level 3
Partner Accredited

WMI Has state [5] Waiting for completion en Last error: No Error.

I Cannot find any corresponding Eventlog warning or error.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

You stated that when you back up System State separately it completes without issues.  Can you confirm what resources you normally backup together that causes the job to hang?

You want to be sure you are backing you any Exchange databases separately, in an instance of its own as stated in the best practice method for the Exchange Agent (provided below).

In the properties of the backup job under “Advanced Open File Option”, try changing the snapshot provider to use the system writer by clicking on the drop down box.

You may also want to try rebooting the server and also confirm that Windows is fully updated.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74428

VJware
Level 6

If the WMI writer is in a waiting for completion state, it means it is not stable.

Try restarting the WMI service/reboot the server to bring back the VSS writer in a stable state and then retry the next backup.

Loppie
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I rebooted wednesday (after installing all windows and BE updates) and after the reboot I ran the IDR Full backup job.

with the job hanging on the WMI Part.

VJware
Level 6

If you check the status of the VSS writers, you would find the WMI writer to be in a non-stable state.

Does the native Windows backup of system state and an explicit backup of WMI itself complete successfully ?

Additionally, rerun the backup after registering WMI as per the first action to try of this link - http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/04/13/wmi-rebuilding-the-wmi-repository.aspx

Loppie
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello Laurie,

When I run the job deselecting the system state the job runs without problems.

Running a job with only the system state selected finishes without problems.

I changed the snapshot provider and the job is now running again.

When I have more information I will get back to you.

(Server has been rebooted and updated)

Loppie
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Update:

I have upgraded to the 2014 sp1 version and the same problem occurs.

IDR Hangs on System state WMI Part.

RSchottmans
Not applicable
Partner

I'm experiencing the exact same issue with BE 2014 SP1 on a SBS 2011 server.

All VSS Writes are in stable condition and still the backup fails when trying to make a SDR enabled backup.

When I put System State in a seperate job and exclude it from the other job, both the jobs run flawless.

I'm now running a test to see if it helps to put Exchange in a seperate job, like VJWare suggested.

I'll keep you posted.

TMCMG
Level 2

Hi,

same Problem.

Server: 2008 R2 all Updates. Symantec Backup 2012 SP4 full Updates.

Re Register VSS dlls

restart Servers

Re Install Symantec Agent

delete Job

Im seraching this weeckend but i have not found the error.

Backup hang on System?state / WMI

if i start a short backup with only system?state the backup runs normal

Have anybody fix this error ?

Carmanet-Mark
Not applicable

I've had this same problem since BE2012, just upgraded to 2014 hoping to resolve and the problem is still there.

A couple of items not mentioned in this thread, bengine starts consuming memory and keeps going until it consumes all available memory. If you let the job run long enough, like 12 hours in the WMI stage it will eventually complete successfully just no one else can use the server cause all the memory is being used.

I opened a case with Symantec and provided all sorts of debug info and worked with them for months when i intitially had this problem then gave up when nothing was working and i was spending way too much time on it. Case 03715575

One thought i had was maybe it actually has something to do with SDR, it's the only difference between running a system states separately is that the backup is not a SDR Backup. So maybe the WMI is actually completing and then it goes to do something related to SDR and hangs. 

I really wish someone at Symantec would give us a resolution to this problem.