cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR requires scsi drivers when I restore backup set on ESXi host

happypumper
Level 4

Hello!
I have a virtual machine which is windows server 2003 with KD-role and it is backuped by use of Agent for application and databases and a BE Server 2014. I want to make a test recovery to another virtual machine by use of a SDR disk. So, I generated SDR iso image and when I created it I did not include any specific drivers or servers because I want to test my backup in very stress conditions. Next what I do is booting new VM from SDR. After that I connect SDR to BE, chose backup set and restore it. Everything is ok, restore process shows progress, but, after finish of this procedure when SDR starts defining installed hardware it shows error that there is not driver for SCSI-adapter. If I ignore this warning message and try to reboot a system it cannot be loaded. So, it is obvious that some measures should be taken with drivers in order to fix the problem. Device which requires driver has an ID which is PCI\VEN_1000&DEV0054&SUBSYS_197615AD&REV_01. So, my question - which driver should be installed? It is not obvious how to install drivers for VM with SDR because VMWare tools cannot be installed in VM with SDR due to the fact that SDR OS is not standart. How should I solve this problem? There is an additional information which is that the original VM uses LSI Logic Parallel whereas SCSI type for VM with SDR is set automatically as LSI Logic SAS because SDR run as windows 2008 and this mode is default for this OS. So, the first my think was to change SCSI type for VM with SDR to LSI Logic Parallel SDR, however, in this case, VM with SDR cannot see any virtual disks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
First of all, you do not recover a VM using SDR. You backup the VM as VM and you restore the entire VM image. For physical machines, you do either a B2V or a P2V when you need to take it to a VM

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified
First of all, you do not recover a VM using SDR. You backup the VM as VM and you restore the entire VM image. For physical machines, you do either a B2V or a P2V when you need to take it to a VM