cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL 2005 Restores to seperate drive on server

wolfpack2412
Level 3

Hello,

I am trying to setup a redirected point in time SQL 2005 restore job to a new seperate drive, on the same server that I am backing up my database from.  For example, I backup a database that is located on the D drive.  Then I am trying to restore that same database to my E drive.  I'll then use sql management studio to detach the database on the D drive, and attach the one on the E.  Is this possible to do through backup exec?  I'm having a heck of a time getting the job to complete successfully.  It appears to screw up the original database on the D drive if I try to re-direct it, actually putting that database into a restore state that doesn't go away unless I delete it.

If it is possible, is there a specific process that needs to be followed to successfully re-direct to another volume on the same server?

Thanks for any insight.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

wolfpack2412
Level 3

It appears that the restore job needs the sql paths to be in place prior to restoring.  I could never get the job to restore to another drive on the same server.  Solution was to restore the DB to another server that had SQL installed, filling in the required information for the redirect sql options including server name and database name.  I also used the "use destination instances default data diretory" option under the destination section.  Once the restore was complete I could move the database files to where they are needed.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you're using the agent, you can restore to a different instance on the same server, or redirect it to another SQL server (assuming you're not using AOFO, in which case things become really complicated!).

I'd suggest trying a duplicate job. What this will do is copy your data to any drive you specify. It would then allow you to see the SQL DB, and do what you want thereafter through SQL Management Studio...

Thanks!

wolfpack2412
Level 3

It appears that the restore job needs the sql paths to be in place prior to restoring.  I could never get the job to restore to another drive on the same server.  Solution was to restore the DB to another server that had SQL installed, filling in the required information for the redirect sql options including server name and database name.  I also used the "use destination instances default data diretory" option under the destination section.  Once the restore was complete I could move the database files to where they are needed.