cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Agent backs up extremely slow

IS_Manager
Level 3
We just rolled out Backup Exec 12 onto a test backup server and I'm running into a problem. Any time I back up or restore SQL databases using the SQL Agent, the backup job barely goes above 30MB/min for the job rate and backup jobs take an exceedingly long amount of time to perform. Physical file backups and restores on the same servers that I'm running the SQL jobs on are blazing fast, though. Speeds are in the neighborhood of 600MB/min for file-based backup and restore operations.

All backup jobs are B2D, with all data initially being dropped onto the RAID array in the back up server. Once the backups complete, replication jobs kick in and duplicate those backups onto a removable drive for weekly offsite storage.

Our backup server specs:

Dell PowerEdge SC1420
4x 500GB hard drives in a RAID10 array (+/- 1TB)
1x 200GB removable hard drive (offsite storage drive)
2x Intel Pro/100 S Server Adapters in an adaptive load balancing team.
Windows 2003 Server Enterprise

Since this problem seems to be related to the SQL agent itself, I'm inclined to believe this is either a configuration problem with SQL Server or Backup Exec or a problem within Backup Exec itself. Since file-based backups and restores are working well, I am not seeing how this is a network, hardware, or fragmentation issue.

Your thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
What version of SQL (with the patch level) are you backing up?. Also is the SQL server remote or local?
If it is a remote server have you updated the remote agent?

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Also where do the SQL databases reside?

IS_Manager
Level 3
This is happening for the SQL files on one development server. The server runs Microsoft SQL Server 2000 with SP4 (four instances) and a single SQL Server 2005 (no service packs deployed) instance. I am not backing up the physical LDF and MDF files.

Physical files for the databases are stored locally on the server on a seperate RAID1 volume. The agent on the development server is up to date.

Message Edited by IS Manager on 03-03-2008 08:25 AM