Did you mean: 

SQL Backup Error

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner
5 REPLIES 5

girish_chakki
Level 4
use VSS as an advance open file technology or do not select open file technology at all. it will approach vss to give backup.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Optimus,

Symantec's recommendation is not to use AOFO with SQL. It prevents you from redirecting a restore to another server for example.
I have since taken the knock with having "failed" backups due to open personal folders, rather than being able to redirect the SQL production backups to a dev environment.
My suggestion is to turn it off in: Tools --> Options; and then remove that option from your jobs.

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner
Hi Craig,
Thanks for your reply. I turn it off and run the job again. It still fail. any suggestion for me to check? tnx

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Mmm...SQL agent installed on that server? Does that particular database still exist? If not, have you checked your selection list to ensure that it's not showing there?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I believe, this error is about shadow copy components and not about SQL. So, please check for VSS related events on the SQL server, event logs. It appears to be an issue with VSS, as it is trying to use VSP and not VSS. Restarting server generally helps with VSS errors. Also, check the results of "vssadmin list writers" command on the target server. Do you see some writers that are unstable? Also, uninstall and reinstall remote agent without "Advanced Open File option". Try creating a new job too, as there could be a corrupt setting in the job forcing it to use VSP instead of VSS for shadow copy components.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks