cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Error when backing up and selecting resources

brendonlee
Not applicable

I get the following error when trying to select my SQL database for backup:

An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of Microsoft SQL Server.

Incorrect function.

It does allow me to select the resource, and during the backup i get a similar error:

Unable to attach to SERVERNAME

V-79-57344-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

I have tried everything i can think of including restarting the services, deselecting and reselecting, updating BackupExec to the latest service pack, and checking the logon credentials.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because my SQL data has not been backed up in more than a week now.

Thank You.

1 REPLY 1

Alex_Pitzner_2
Level 3

I'm having the same trouble.  I have a clustered SQL 2005 installation on (2) WIndows 2003 EE nodes.

These nodes are on a different subnet than the backup server but there are no ACLs or firewalls which would prevent them from communicating.

I can see the nodes in the selection list, but not the SQL virtual server instance.  Therefore I cannot select it to backup.

Note:  This was working at some point b/c I have a selection list called SQL2005_DBs which DOES have the clustered virtual SQL server instance name in it.  However, the backup fails when it tries to access it and the clustered virtual instance name (HUSQLSVR) no longer appears in the Windows Network Domain list.

It has been more than 2 weeks since brendonlee's initial post.  Does anyone moderate these boards ?