cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Error

Ernie_B
Level 2
I've just upgraded to BE 11D. I'm attempting to backup a Windows 2K3 server that has SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 installed. I am getting the following error.

This was not a problem with 10D. Should I  install AOFO on the remote server instead of using Microsoft's VSS?
3 REPLIES 3

ariesbabu
Level 4
Make sure you don't use AOF option in the sql job. SQL along with AOF option is not supported. The SQL agent snaps the database for backuup.

Also make sure you have updated all the remote agents. You may need to restart the remote server if you re-installed AOFO agent.

There is no need to install AOFO agent if you are using a SQL agent to backup SQL databases. You may need install AOFO if you wish to backup flat-files which may be open to during the backup.

Message Edited by ariesbabu on 08-31-2007 08:53 AM

Ernie_B
Level 2
Thank for the input.

1 -  I upgraded the agenbts to 11D just before this job ran.
2 - I didn't install AOFO on any 2003 server. I figure Microsoft's VSS can handle it.
3 - There is no SQL option I need to install with the agent is there? ( I don't remember seeing one)

ariesbabu
Level 4
Hello Ernie,
My aplogies for the late reply.

There is no such thing called the SQL agent that you have to install. It is just a license that you have to install on the media server. The remote agent does the job for you. For example you need to backup a SQL server, you need to install the SQL agent license in the media server and the remote agent license on the remote SQL server. This applies for Exchnge, Oracle, Sharepoint and Lotus Notes servers.

I advised that AOFO needs a reboot because it is kernell driver which is installed(Veritas Snaposhot provider) to activate the features of the AOFO. Ideally you could also use the remote servers Microsoft VSS to backup open files.

Do you still have the issue? Did you try extra logging using SGMON?

Try the follwoing link.

Reboot the computer to reset the VSS component status.

Try another backup and let me know how it goes.

Cheers.