cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL not selectable on BE10

Attila_Marton
Level 3
Hi everyone,
I am encountering the following error. When I am trying to select the SQL-Server on a remote server in the selection list for the backup, I get following pop-window:
"An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of %SERVERNAME%. Database Query Failure. See the job log for details."
On the SQL-Server I get the following error in the event viewer:
event ID 57860
"An error occurred while attemting to log in to the following server: %SERVERNAME%. SQL error number: "0000". SQL error message: ""

what I tried so far: followed the guidelines referring to event 57860 found on the veritas site.... no success
reinstalled the SQL Agent... no success
created a job to backup the SQL Server only... no success

I have been chewing on this problem for two weeks and found no solution.

infrastructure: media server: win2k3, running BE10 (AOF, Exchange Agent and SQL-Agent installed)
SQL server: win2k3, SQL2000 Sp3a

any help is very appreciated.. thanks a lot
8 REPLIES 8

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

please confirm whether you have tried the steps in the technote mentioned below:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/264616
http://support.veritas.com/docs/251942

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Attila_Marton
Level 3
Hi there,
yes I checked these documents. they are not applying to my problem since 1. I have a SQL-Agent installed and 2. I cannot even select the SQL-Server for being backed up.

thanks for the help

Attila_Marton
Level 3
f.y.i.

Veritas e-mail support told me to set the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/VERITAS/Backup Exec/Engine/SQL Server/Force Named Pipe Backup/Restore" key to 1 in order to resolve my error. unfortunately it did not help.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does your BackupExec Service account have admin rights to all SQL databases?

If you logon as the service account and run Enterprise Manager or SQL Utilities, can you connect to the Databases?

Attila_Marton
Level 3
Hi Ken,
yes I have. I even created new master logons for the sql-server. I don't think it is a authentication problem, since I cannot browse the sql-server. I do not even get the opportunity to select a logon account, when clicking on the SQL-Database in the Selection.

Attila_Marton
Level 3
Hi everybody,
now I think I've tracked down the reason for the error message. It is actually a Win2k3 problem and not a BE problem (or so I think). The reason is that upgrading to Win2k3 Server might cause that MDAC won't be able to being upgraded as well. So some DLL files might not be upgraded. Even reinstalling the actual MDAC version does not help, the DLL files are not upgraded!!! This is a known problem and there is a hotfix available (which I am still waiting for).
here is the article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839428
As soon as I can try that hotfix, I will get back!

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

We shall wait for your update after installing the hotfix. Alternatively you can run the component checker and find out the mismatched dll's. Here is the link for downloading the utility:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8f0a8df6-4a21-4b43-bf53-14332ef092c9&DisplayLang=en

Hope the hotfix helps resolve the problem.
In case we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Attila_Marton
Level 3
we did it!!!! we finally found the solution. the reason was the mismatched oledb32.dll file, which was not the MDAC2.8 version. we received a hotfix from microsoft support, but it was meant for 64bit applications. that is quite strange, why is there no 32bit version of this hotfix? however microsoft said that we should try this hotfix anyway. well, the hotfix did not help.
so we simply copied the oledb32.dll file into the necessary folders manually.
the folders are: c:\program files\common files\system\ole db
AND %winnt%\system32\dllcache

that is possible in safemode!!! then we registered the dll file and restarted the server. oila, no mismatched dll files anymore and I was able to select the sql-server for backup.