cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL server backups

zak2011
Level 6

Lately i have been having problems with the SQL server backups. I get a message saying

Job ended: 20. februar 2012 at 21:37:37
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fedf - A failure occurred reading an object.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Backup- \\SQLSRV04.brunstad.local\System?State
V-79-57344-65247 - A failure occurred reading an object.

Last time this happened i restarted the server and the backups worked. However its started once again.

Please advise!

29 REPLIES 29

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Try running the backup of the System State to disk locally on that server using the built-in backup software in Windows. Check to see if you get the same error. If you do, the problem lies with Microsoft and it's best to take it up in their forums.

If it succeeds, try running a backup using Backup Exec, but back the SS up to disk on the media server.

zak2011
Level 6

Thanks Craig..will try this out and update the post!

zak2011
Level 6

Hi Craig,

Sorry for the delayed response. I tried running the Windows server backup from the SQL Server itself and it worked. Tried running the backup using Backup Exec and backed up the SS up to disk on the media server and it failed. However after moving to BE2012, the backups for the system state have worked twice and have failed the other times.

Thanks!

CraigV

...OK, then I am inclined to say that the problem could lie with Windows itself.

If you back up the SS from the Windows Backup utility a couple of times, does it error-out? Or does it go through successfully?

zak2011
Level 6

Hi,

Backed up the SQL server system state from Windows Backup four times on the SQL server and its completd successfully.

Thanks!

CraigV

...what happened when you ran the backup of the SS to disk? Did it succeed in its own selection list?

zak2011
Level 6

When i ran the backup of the SS to disk of SQL server using Windows backup it runs successfully.Worked all four times.

CraigV

...OK, now try running that same selection to disk using BE...

zak2011
Level 6

Hi,

I backed up the same SS to  backup server disk using BE and it failed. Very strange!

I have created a seperate job for the SQL database on the SQL server and it works fine though. Its the system state that keeps failing,

CraigV

OK...upgrade the firmware on the drive, and make sure that BE is using the latest drivers.

If this still doesn't resolve the issue, try reverting to the manufacturer's drivers and see if this fixes it...