cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL server backups

zak2011
Level 6

Lately i have been having problems with the SQL server backups. I get a message saying

Job ended: 20. februar 2012 at 21:37:37
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fedf - A failure occurred reading an object.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Backup- \\SQLSRV04.brunstad.local\System?State
V-79-57344-65247 - A failure occurred reading an object.

Last time this happened i restarted the server and the backups worked. However its started once again.

Please advise!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Try running the backup of the System State to disk locally on that server using the built-in backup software in Windows. Check to see if you get the same error. If you do, the problem lies with Microsoft and it's best to take it up in their forums.

If it succeeds, try running a backup using Backup Exec, but back the SS up to disk on the media server.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

CraigV

Hi zak,

As an aside, I'd recommend splitting your backups off from your data. If you're using AOFO in the job itself, it can mess around with backup/restore operations.

Check my article below on this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

Related to your error, this can also occur if an antivirus prevents Backup Exec from accessing the System State. I've had this with McAfee, and the solution was to exclude the BE services from the scan, and create a rule allowing the System State to be accessed.

Thanks!

zak2011
Level 6

Hi Craig,

There is no antivirus running on that server. Do i need to create seperate selection lists as mentioned.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You might want to turn on the debug mode using this procedure

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH23853

then run a job to backup the system state on that server.  From the debug log, you would be able to see what is the missing file that BE is trying to read.

There are some previous discussions which suggested that the problem is caused by Java using forward slashes in its path rather than backwards slashes.

CraigV

I would do that anyway zak. I've personally had an issue with AOFO being used when backing up SQL when I couldn't do a redirected-restore to a dev server...

zak2011
Level 6

I need  to mention  one thing. I have never been  using AOFO for SQL backups.

CraigV

...then it shouldn't be an issue in this regard.

zak2011
Level 6

Hi Craig,

I created a seperate selection list for the system state and a seperate one for databases as per the article you sent. The database backup is working fine, however the system state backup is still failing.  I get the error message:-

CraigV

Weired 1...check the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH42859&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

Also make sure that the VSS writers are stable and running on SQLSRV04: vssadmin list writers - this will give you the information.

zak2011
Level 6

I checked the status of vss admin writers and they are all stable. Also checked the option with BEutility 'File system uses asynchronous I/O' and it was already checked. The option below that 'Enable restrict anonymous support' is also checked. Do i need to uncheck the second option.

Thanks!

CraigV

...matter of interest. Create a separate backup job just for that server's System State and run it to tape and disk and see if you get the same error...

zak2011
Level 6

Sure..will try it out and update the post

zak2011
Level 6

I tried running a seperate job for only the system state on that server and i got the same error message

and exceptions

WARNING: "\\SQLSRV04.brunstad.local\System?State\System Files\System Files" is a corrupt file. This ...

Verify- \\SQLSRV04.brunstad.local\System?State \\SQLSRV04.brunstad.local\System?State
WARNING: "System Files" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

Thanks!

zak2011
Level 6

The vss writers seemin stable state. I have used Automatically choose vss provider in the job properties. Should i choose the Microsoft VSS writer?

CraigV

...and you're using AOFO on that job as well?

As for the Microsoft VSS provider, change it to that in the job and see what happens.

zak2011
Level 6

Thats correct. I am using AOFO option for this job. I will change it to Microsoft VSS provider and update the post.

CraigV

...matter of interest, have you checked your VSS writers on your media server too?

zak2011
Level 6

i checked it now. All the VSS writers on the media server are stable

zak2011
Level 6

i ran a backup job of the system state of the SQL server with the AOFO option enable and setting to Microsoft vss writer and it failed again with the same error.

zak2011
Level 6

Any suggestions regarding this one anyone! I contacted Symantec Technical Support. However they were not able to solve this one!