cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYMANTEC STORAGE OVERWRITE PROTECTED STATUS

ncoowar
Level 3

Hi,

i am using backup exec 2012 and using as medias rdx  drives.

I have created my job with overwrite after 6 days. However on my media status i see : Overwrite Protect: Infinite - Do not overwrite.

How can i remove this to overwrite?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

You need to confirm when configuring the job which media set you are using may be you would have selected the defualt media set of DO NOT Overwrite so would recommend you too make new media set like daily media set with Overwrite option of 6 days or what you want and in job while configuring it select that media set

Also on left hand side click on backup exec icon and click on configuration and settings and click on setting and click on media and select the 2nd check box as partial and also select the overwrite recyclable media first before overwriting scratch media

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

You need to confirm when configuring the job which media set you are using may be you would have selected the defualt media set of DO NOT Overwrite so would recommend you too make new media set like daily media set with Overwrite option of 6 days or what you want and in job while configuring it select that media set

Also on left hand side click on backup exec icon and click on configuration and settings and click on setting and click on media and select the 2nd check box as partial and also select the overwrite recyclable media first before overwriting scratch media

Thanks

Colin_Weaver

We have a defect for IMG folders (GRT backup sets) not overwriting and causing RDX cartridges to run out of space (in fact they don't overwrite they reclaim so delete and create new, the term overwrite is used as for simplicity)

There is an Orphan (similar to beta) hotfix available to solve the problem but you have to log a formal support case to get it

Oh and if by media you are referring to the media called FLDR***** then this media is by design in an infinite protection media set - because it only represents the whole RDX cartridge. The BKF files and IMG folders are the real media items and these are stored in the file system of the cartridge and their overwrite protection settings and media set membership are not exposed in the console. (which adds to any confusion when you run out of space as you think the state of the FLDR media is the cause when it is not)