cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Job Log File

Jairo_Yun
Level 4
I am running the evaluation version 10 of Backup Exec. I would like to see what the job log file looks like for version 9.x. Version 10 is in xml format. I think I saw somewhere that 9.x is in a text format.

Does anyone know where I can get a sample job log file for version 9.x? I currently do not have access to Backup Exec 9.x to output the job log file myself. I am going to see what tape, directory, and file information I can parse out.

Also, is the log file appended to or does it create a new file each time a backup job runs?

Thank you!
6 REPLIES 6

Jairo_Yun
Level 4
Any sample log files previous to version 9.x would also be appreciated. I am looking to parse out the log files and need to know what the logs looked like previous to version 9.x.

Thanks!

Jairo_Yun
Level 4
Does anyone know if this remains true for Backup Exec versions more recent, i.e. 8.x, 9.x, 10?

Document ID: 191932
http://support.veritas.com/docs/191932

Details:
By default, the Backup Exec log files (*.TXT) in \BKUPEXEC\NT\DATA are excluded from backup operations. To backup the Backup Exec log files, copy the Backup Exec log files to another directory and include the directory in the backup.

Products Applied:
Backup Exec for Windows Servers 6.11

Thanks!

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

All job logs are generated in .xml format Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0.

Job log were generated in .txt format in Backup Exec 8.6 format.

A separate job log is created for each job that is run.The job logs are saved in Programs\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\ Data directory.

Hope it helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.

Jairo_Yun
Level 4
Yes, that does help. What I wanted to see was the exact format though so that I could make sure the tape label, directories\file information, and the date of backup were in the files. That way, I could also start thinking about ways to parse it, if I had to.

Does anyone have a sample log file for version 8.x?

Also, I'm wondering if the log files are ever deleted. In my message above, I'm concerned about:

By default, the Backup Exec log files (*.TXT) in \BKUPEXEC\NT\DATA are excluded from backup operations.
Products Applied:
Backup Exec for Windows Servers 6.11

Do you know if that is the case with versoin 8.x, 9.x, and 10?

Thanks!

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Its not possible to paste any sample job log in this forum.

The log files can be deleted.

The option "Tools" > "Options" > "Settings" > "Database Maintenance" > "No. of days to keep data before deleting it form the Backup Exec database" can be used to specify the number of days the job logs should be kept intact after which they will be automatically deleted.

Now with Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 it is possible to explicitly backup Backup Exec job logs by explicitly selecting them from the Bakcup Exec selection list.

Hope the information is helpful.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.