cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled job failures

Brian_Small_2
Level 2
That's it?

My post of yesterday got exactly one response and it was no help. The second reply was from me, saying that I needed more help.

Come to think of it, I don't see a lot of solved cases here.

Could someone tell me, is there any way realistic to get help on Backup Exec problems, or will I have to buy support?

Could anyone help me, please?
4 REPLIES 4

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Could you please let us know the problem that you are facing...

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Brian_Small_2
Level 2
Here it is again (this is from my previous post a few instances "down" on the list)

I retired a Compaq server and moved the Benchmark DLT tape unit to a new, W2k server using a new SCSI controller (LSI Ultra 320 2000 series), and did a fresh install of Backup Exec 9.

The backups had been running flawlessly in the old server.

Now, most jobs which I manually submit (Run Now) work just fine, but when I schedule the same job, it fails when it runs, even when using the same tape.

In fact, I've only had one manually submitted job fail, and when it did, it was the same failure as the scheduled job failures.

So I can for now comfortably get backups with a little work on my part.

When the job fails, it always fails at the same point: I always get the same amount of data within a few k, and the job runs for the same amount of time, within a few seconds / less than a minute difference.

In the Event logs, I get this error starting after the job has run for about 7 minutes, then the job errors out and quits about 19 minutes after it started.
Here's the error:

Category: None
Event ID: 7
Description: The device, \Device\Tape0, has a bad block.

This error is patently not true. The same job, the same data, the same tape perform flawlessly most times when I submit the job manally. And, I have changed all the old tapes for new ones. This is very consistent, I've had over 2 weeks of failures and about 5 manually submitted successes.

In the Job Log I get this information:

Job ended: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 11:19:40 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error code: a00084f9 HEX
Final error description: A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent.

Final error category: Resource Errors
Error rule Resource Errors was applied.
Job was not scheduled for retry because out of retries.
Final disposition: Job scheduled for next occurrence.

A Google search for this error yield information (on this Symantec site) about resetting the Network Adapter used to backup remote agents.

I have made the changes suggested with no improvement.

However, I am not backing up any remote agents. I'm only backing up 2 directories on the local server

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you using the Veritas drivers or mfg drivers? Have you tried switching.

if the tape device is not an Ultra320 device, have you entered the SCSI BIOS and set the compatibility to whatever the tape drive is?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Does the problem with the scheduled jobs still persist? If yes, do check if you also get any errors in the event logs when the scheduled jobs fail.

In case you are still using version 9.0, do upgrade it to 9.1 which is a free upgrade. Refer to the linkls below for more information:

It addresses many issues and enhancements from an earlier versions and Build of Backup Exec v9.0. Refer the following technotes:

Title: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691.1 (Single .ZIP download)
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264658.htm

Title: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers General Information
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262414.htm

Note: 1. BEWS 9.1 is a free downloadable upgrade inclusive of previously installed agents and options from Backup Exec 9.0 for Windows Servers agents and options.

2. Update all agents/options on all remote systems.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.