cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling "last day" backups

Andrew_Perry
Level 4
I have set up a schedule to run on the last day of each month, and also excluded the last day from my daily schedule, however for some reason, the monthly backup will only run at the end of NEXT month??

I have set the effective day for today (31/05/2005) and the time for 20:00 so, in theory, should this not run tonight at 20:00?? Instead the Next run date on the Job Status window shows 30/06/2005 at 20:00.

I have checked the current time on the server, and it is correct.

Has anybody come across this before?

Please help :)

*** Added ***

Just to add,

I have set up a schedule today and it does correctly pick the end of THIS month, so it would appear that there is some kind of problem when selecting "last day" when you are actually creating the schedule "on the last day" no matter what the time is set to backup.

Is this by design??

I would appreciate some comments from Veritas about this.

Thanks

AndrewMessage was edited by:
Andrew Perry
16 REPLIES 16

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please check whether you have not scheduled other backup jobs at the same time as this monthly backup job.

If Backup Exec is unable to start the job within
given time limit or the time window specified for the backup job is overlapping with another job then also it might be a problem

Also please try doing a repair database with the help of the technote below:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Andrew_Perry
Level 4
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have double checked my Daily schedule, and the 31/05/05 was definitely excluded, so there were no other backup jobs scheduled for the same day.

I ran the BEUtility program to repair the database, and then re-loaded Backup Exec. I changed the System Time back to 31/05/05 at 13:08, and created a new monthly backup job and selected "Last" in the schedule and the time window was set to 20:00:00 with a latest time of 20:30:00. Again this is where i would have expected to submit, go to my job monitor and see the next scheduled job as 31/05/05 @ 20:00 however it still shows 30/06/05 @ 20:00

The next time that I could really check this again, is when I get to the last day of June, and then try to create a schedule again for the last day of the month. If that works then it may be something with the 31st ??

I may be far from the truth here but it could be a possibility that 30th is used in the coding and anything over that day automatically takes it to the last day of the next month, but can't really be sure until I have tested the last day of each month where days are different.

I wonder if anyone else could test this also, to see if it happens with them or whether it is just me??

Thanks

Andy

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

If you have specified last day of each month and then excluded it date wise then it will by default get scheduled for the next month.
To avoid this you can schedule the dates yb using specific dates.

We hope this helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Andrew_Perry
Level 4
The excluded date is listed in the "Daily" backup job. This is a second job that I have set for Last day of the month to which there are no excluded dates in this job.

If what you say is still the case, then why does it schedule to the last day in June when this June date is also excluded from the "Daily" job.

Like I said, when i created the same job on the 2nd June for the last day of the month, the job was correctly scheduled to start from the 30th June, however when I created the job on the 31st May at around 13:00 for the last day of the month at 20:00 then instead of selecting 31st May @ 20:00, the first schedule was 30th June. All excluded dates are part of another job.

Thanks

Andy

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Does this problem occur with even numbered or odd numbred months particularly, do you see a pattern of some sort.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Andrew_Perry
Level 4
I am going to try to create a new schedule again on the last day of this month, and then this will mean i will have tested both May and June on the last day of each month.

I have created a schedule for June that wasn't created on the last day of this month, and that one worked ok, so hopefully on the 30th of this month I will then have tested May and June, and also months with both 30th and 31st as last days.

I will post back once I have tested.

Thanks

Andy

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to please update us so that we can continue further troubleshooting.

Thanks

Andrew_Perry
Level 4
As mentioned in my previous post, I will be able to update you on 30th June, when I am next able to test, as your colleague has asked me if this occurs on certain odd or even months. I have tested May, and will be able to test June on the 30th. I don't want to change the system times on the servers, as other applications rely on this.

As soon as I have tested, i will post back.

Thanks

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

Regards,

Andrew_Perry
Level 4
As mentioned now in my previous 2 posts. I WILL notify you on the 30th when I am able to test. I cannot update UNTIL this

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Thank you for the reply, we look forward to your reply when you return.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Andrew_Perry
Level 4
Hi,

I have just created a new schedule for a backup job today (30th) with the effective date defaulted to 30th and specified last day of the month.

The result of this was a first scheduled job of 31/07/05 rather than 30/06/05 as expected.

I then deleted, and created a new schedule, but this time i set the effective date myself as yesterdays date (29th) with the other settings the same as above, and this time it scheduled my job for 30/06/05.

Based on this, last month i amended my job when i changed the effective date, which still didn't update the date, but after this latest result, wondered if maybe i should have refreshed.

Therefore I have just put back the time on the server to 31st May, and created a schedule leaving the default effective date as the 31st. This again didn't work as expected and the first schedule was set for 30/06/06 instead of 31/05/05.

I then created another new schedule but again this time, i set the effective date as the day before, and the schedule correctly picked the end of May (31st) as the first scheduled job.

This would suggest that if you create a "last day of the month" scheduled job ON the last day of the month then the effective date has to be changed to the previous day rather than kept at the default that Backup Exec picks, otherwise it will automatically skip that day and schedule for the end of the next month.

Is this by design?

Thanks

Andrew Perry

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Thanks for the update.

Yes if you configure a job on 30th June and select the last option in schedules it will take the last day of the next month.

But if you configure the job not on the 30th but any other date of that month then it will run on 30th.
So we suggest you configure the job other than the last day, if you want the job to run on the last day for the month selected.

Regards,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Andrew_Perry
Level 4
Thank You.

I presume then that this will be fixed in the next version, as logically the effective date is still correct in its true sense as 30th as i still want it to become effective on the 30th(or whichever is the last day)??

You should still be able to create a schedule on the last day, aslong as the "time" of the schedule is after the creation time. Having to create it on a day other than the last day just seems to be a workaround the bug??

However, thanks for the information and in the meantime i will remember these points when creating these schedules.

Andy Perry

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Thanks for the update. We have taken a note of this issue.

Since you are going to configure the jobs as suggested earlier can we go ahead and archive this post?

Regards,

Andrew_Perry
Level 4
Yes, archiving is fine.

Thanks for help and advice.

Andrew