cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selection of this item is disabled. Possible reasons are:

Ron_Kawaguchi
Level 3
Hello,

I'm using Backup Exec 10.0 on Windows 2003 servers. When I try to create a new backup job and go to Remote Selections -> Microsoft Windows Network -> Workgroup/Domain -> and expand the ServerName, it always shows the C$ drive (and all other local drives) and Microsoft SQL Server greyed out, but I'm able to access all other folders, and when I try to select one of the greyed out folders or drives, it gives me the error: Selection of this item is disabled. Possible reasons are:
- The Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent on the remote computer is a previous or incompatible version.
- A license for the Remote Agent is not installed on the media server.
- You are not authorized to access this item.

Possible solutions are:
- Reinstall the Remote Agent on the remote computer.
- Enter a Remote Agent license number on the media server.
- Use a different logon account to connect to the remote computer.

I have tried all of the above solutions including searching on this Discussion Fourm which also resulted in:
- Uninstalling the Remote Agent and reinstalling from the command prompt.
- Checking License information in Help.
- Checking the Services applet to see if the Remote Agent was installed.
- Checking C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Services file for inclusion of the NDMP port entry, which I found that none of the Services file had this entry, so I guess that means they are all using the default entry of 10000.

I'm still unable to access the C$ drive and all other local drives and the Microsoft SQL Server folder, which we have purchase licensing for.

Thanks for any help!
Ron
10 REPLIES 10

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Ron,

We assume that you have installed the SQL Agent license on the media server. Please ensure that the remote agent service is running under Lokal System account on media server as well as the remote SQL server.

Also enable the restrict anonymous support on both the machines with the help of the following dokument:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/238618

Restart all the backup exec services on both the servers after having made the changes.

Please download the tcpview utility from the following URL:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html

Run it on both the machines to ensure that the beremote.exe is listening to port 10000.

Please update us on the issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ron_Kawaguchi
Level 3
Hi Asma,

Thank you for your reply. I tried all of your suggestions and my problem still exists.
Yes, I do have the SQL agent license installed on the Media Server, but I'm not using a remote SQL server but opted to install the SQL server on the Media Server.

One thing I did not mention in my original message was that I am able to access certain folders within the C:\ drive but cannot access the C:\ drive itself.

The remote agent on the Media Server was not running under Local System account but I did change that as you suggested. The Remote Agent on all the remote servers were running under the Local System account.

I enabled the restrict anonymous support on both the Media Server and Exchange Server and restarted both machines but this was not successful in solving the problem.

I ran the tcpview on all the servers and they all showed that the beremote.exe was listening on servername:10000.

Thank you!
Looking forward to your reply.
Ron

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the below mentioned technote:

"An unknown error occurred within the NDMP subsystem" or "Selection of the item is disabled. You are not authorized to access this item, a license key for Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers is not installed on this machine, or the Remote Agent is old or incompatible" is received when attempting to select a local or remote system.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/262928

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ron_Kawaguchi
Level 3
Hi Ajit,

I made the registry changes as you suggested and restarted backup exec., but adding the ForceBootDrive value did not work. Please let me know if you need anymore information. I can't believe that my problem is uncommon. I will try to see if there is something I'm overlooking.

Thanks!
Ron

Dongxian_Yao
Level 2
I am another victim, I encountered the same problem as you did.

I tried:
1. Reinstall the remote agent many times, but didn't solve the problem
2. The Remote Agent license number has been inputed to the media server
3. Tried another account but didn't solve the problem.

Please advise!

Thanks!
Dongxian Yao

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
You are 100% sure that RAWS is not installed on more servers than you have licenses for?

BEWS is using 1 Agent (but that's already running under the BE license). Of course you can't use this Agent on another system.

So 3 Agent Licenses means 3 Servers.

Check if there is a server running an older Agent but still connects to the Media Server.

Ron_Kawaguchi
Level 3
Hi Eli,

According to my Veritas License Agreement, I have more RAWS licenses than I have installed on remote servers - is there a way to see the quantity of licenses installed on the Media Server? In any case, I uninstalled all the RAWS except for one and rebooted everything but I still have the same problem.

This is a new installation and I've never owned an older previous version of Veritas Backup Exec so I know that all the Remote Agents are the same version.

Thanks for you reply!
Ron

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
As soon as you've installed all the proper license keys, all the licenses are installed as well. 1 license key for i.e. 5 RAWS entitles you to immediately install those agents.

RAWS Service is running correctly on the server where it's installed?

Port 10000 is available throughout the network?

Ron_Kawaguchi
Level 3
Eli,

Yes, I assumed that, but is there a way to find out how many RAWS that one license key supports, other than what's on the Software License Certificate?

Well, unless there is something else that I haven't already done (see previous thread) to confirm that RAWS is running correctly on the server where it's installed, I assume it's running correctly.

All server show through the tcpview utility that beremote.exe is listening on port 10000, and this port is not being shared by any other programs.

Thanks!
Ron

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

How many remote servers are you backing up? How mnay Raws licenses do you have in all?

Also on the media server in the host file add the remote server name and ip address and vis versa.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.