cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server 2008 R2

nOrphf
Level 3
Hi

I am trying to backup a server 2008 R2 but get some errors.
I'm using a fully patched 12.5 SP2 Backup Exec.

Is this not possible/supported yet, or do I have to change something to make it work?
I'm also trying Hyper-V server 2008 R2, but same errors.

Is this a no go yet, or do you people just need some errors to troubleshoot?

/Lars Mortensen
4tw it
19 REPLIES 19

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
2008 R2 is not supported by Backup Exec at this time.

Not applicable
Could you please tell me wht that error is we might try to resolve the issue.

Brabbs
Not applicable
Hi Ben,

I notice with some alarm that Server 2008 R2 is not yet supported by BackupExec.

Please can you tell me, as a matter of some urgency, when we cann expect support for this?

Thanks.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Brabbs,

2008 R2 won't be supported until it has been fully released by Microsoft.

2008 R2 is still in the RC stage of it's release and is not scheduled to be released until late October, per Microsofts website.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/R2.aspx

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
We've had Server 2008 (final) released to us, and already have one server in production (just our KMS server to activate other servers).  You guys might want to get more up-to-date on when these things are really being released to customers...

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Seth at the time of that posting (3 weeks ago), 2008 R2 had not been released yet it was still in RTM.  2008 R2 was released Friday.  So I'm not sure if we can be more up-to-date on when new revisions of the software are released to customers, but if you have a way to do so I would be glad to listen.

But as it stands, 2008 R2 is still not supported by Backup Exec.

Andrew_Raison
Not applicable
We found success by stoppping the HP Insight Storage Agent. When we tried to restore using BE 12.5 installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 we got e00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent. The restore would start and then a couple of minutes in would stop. After stopping this service our restores are now successful.

We also got 'backup exec performance counter setup has stopped working' while perfoming updates to 12.5 but they didn't seem to stop them from applying.

Medvegyev
Not applicable
Hi Ben,

Could you tell me when it will be supported approximately?

Med.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Med,

Support has not been given a time frame on when it will be supported.

Steffan_R_
Not applicable
Found solution at gnawgnu.blogspot.com/2009/08/windows-2008-r2-backup-exec-and-failure.html
-----------------------------------

I got pretty familiar with the VSSADMIN command while working with Hyper-V and backups so I knew that it could be used to redirect VSS snapshots to larger partitions. The problem I ran into is that it didn't like the fact that the System Reserved partition didn't have a drive letter. So I did the quick fix and used Disk Management to assign it a random drive letter - in this case P:

Then a quick drop to a command prompt and run vssadmin list volumes

C:\Users\Administrator>vssadmin list volumes
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Volume path: P:\
Volume name: \\?\Volume{a2b716d3-8c1f-11de-a5ed-826d6f6e6973}\
Volume path: C:\
Volume name: \\?\Volume{a2b716d4-8c1f-11de-a5ed-826d6f6e6973}\
Volume path: D:\
Volume name: \\?\Volume{75c2418c-8c0e-11de-ae3c-001143dd2544}\

You'll note there's an entry for all your partitions. Now we set up a ShadowStorage for P:\ (100MB partition). ShadowStorage basically sets aside space on a volume to store snapshots of a volume. In this case I'm going to store snapshots of P: on D:

vssadmin add shadowstorage /For=P: /On=D: /MaxSize=1GB

And you have to put a MaxSize so I picked 1GB.

Now run vssadmin list shadowstorage to confirm the link has been set up.

C:\Users\Administrator>vssadmin list shadowstorage
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Shadow Copy Storage association
For volume: (P:)\\?\Volume{a2b716d3-8c1f-11de-a5ed-826d6f6e6973}\
Shadow Copy Storage volume: (D:)\\?\Volume{75b2419c-8c5e-11de-af3b-001143dd23
44}\
Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 0 B (0%)
Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 0 B (0%)
Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 1 GB (4%)

If you have any other volumes configured for Shadow Copies you'll also see them listed there. (i.e. If you enabled "Previous Versions" for a file share, etc)

At this point you're done. I was able to do a successful backup of the server with the AOFO (Advanced open file option) enabled after making this change. My backup seemed a bit slow but it is an older server so I can't be sure if speed was a machine issue or an R2/Symantec issue.

avazquez
Level 4

Do you guys know if v12 supports it at all?  Since I am not even able to install the agent to a windows 2008R2.

Thanks so much.

Tim_Line
Level 2
Any further news on when R2 is going to be supported?

digitallagoon
Level 2
Bump. What is the timeframe for full Windows Server 2008 R2 support in Backup Exec?

Peter_Hitchcock
Level 2
Any idea when BE 12.5 will be able to function with R2.
What is funny, BE 12.5 deployed the agent to the R2 server without error, it also restored a windows server 2003 directory to a R2 server just fine. Now it cannot backup what it restred.... ummmm.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Timeframe for Remote Agent Support of 2008 R2 for features that were standard in Windows 2008 (pre R2) is mid to late October - via a Hotfix and against Backup Exec version 12.5 only.

Full Support for running a Media Server on R2 or for protecting the new features (such as CSV data etc) will only be available in BackuP Exec 2010

Tim_Line
Level 2
Thanks Colin, good to get a definative answer on this

Charlatat
Level 2
Is the hotfix available yet?

anbeier
Level 2
What timeframe you expect full support for Win Server 2008 R2 for BE12.5?

What time you expect to release BE 2010? Will BE10 Support Win Server 2008 R2?

BR
Andreas

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Old post...

BEWS 12.5 supports Win2K8 R2 agent installs, and BE 2010 will be released in February apparently.