Server Failure - Restore to a Temporary Server

Irshath
Level 2

Dear ,

I want your support to product our work invironment

Tape Drive IP address: 192.168.1.253

Server : WIndows server 2008 R2 - 192.168.1.3

Temporary Server : Windows Server 2008 R2 - 192.168.1.4

I am using a tape drive to have full backup including system state daily. unfortunately My primary server ( 192.168.1.3) failed to startup due to hardware error, i just need to give service center.

How Can I restore full system from Tape Drive to Temporary Server ? please give me your support or give me your related documents ...

Your quick answere will help me...

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. Install the version of Windows Server on the temporary server that was running on the crashed server;

2. Install the RAWS agent via push-install from the media server;

3. Restore the data on the backup media to the temporary server;

4. Restore the System State (if needed!) and restart the temporary server.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If the hardware of your temporary server is different from that of your failed server, then you would not be able to do a manual recovery as advised previously.  The server will not be able to boot because of missing drivers.

The only way to recover to a dissimiliar hardware is to use SDR which allows you to load the drivers required for the temporary server, but all these require you to so preparatory work before a disaster.  Also, if I am not mistaken, SDR does not support iSCSI which is probably what you are using to connect your tape drive to your server.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. Install the version of Windows Server on the temporary server that was running on the crashed server;

2. Install the RAWS agent via push-install from the media server;

3. Restore the data on the backup media to the temporary server;

4. Restore the System State (if needed!) and restart the temporary server.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If the hardware of your temporary server is different from that of your failed server, then you would not be able to do a manual recovery as advised previously.  The server will not be able to boot because of missing drivers.

The only way to recover to a dissimiliar hardware is to use SDR which allows you to load the drivers required for the temporary server, but all these require you to so preparatory work before a disaster.  Also, if I am not mistaken, SDR does not support iSCSI which is probably what you are using to connect your tape drive to your server.

Irshath
Level 2

Thanks For your advise.

The temporary server is defferent then failed server ...

What I understand from your comments :

01. Install the WIndows server 2008 R2 on Temporary server.

02. do i need to connect tape drive into Temporary server ? also need to install the symanatec exe 2012 on it ? without doing these things, how can i get the Active directory ? pls advise...

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Do read my comment again about not being able to recover if your temporary server has different hardware from your failed server