cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server specs and implementation for BE 11d

JAllison
Level 2
We're in the process of buying new equipment and moving into two datacenters connected through fiber (same LAN), and I wanted to pick the experts' brains here about how beefy the server(s) running Backup Exec should be.  Budget is not an issue, so I would rather get something overpowered than underpowered.

The plan we have right now is to use two backup exec dedicated servers in each physical location, even though they have a direct fiber connection to each other.  Each BE server will backup the data to disk in the physical location to a PAC Store SCSI SAN in the same physical location (50TB in one location, 100TB of disk in the other).  We will have a tape library in one location, and duplicate the backup sets from both servers to tape.  We are planning on doing weekly fulls and daily incrementals

The location that has the tape drive will have approximately 1TB of local data to back up.  The location that does not have the tape drive will have about 2-2.5TB of data to back up.

My questions:

Is it best to use one server to backup the data in each physical location (they are connected via fiber, so it will look to us as a single LAN), or to have two seperate servers?

For running multiple backup to disk jobs (we're thinking we'll need 4-7 concurrent jobs to get everything backed up within our maintenance window), what server specs are recommended in terms of processor speed, processor cores, RAM, and NICs?  My thought is that RAM is most likely going to be the bottleneck, and should be beefed up.

Any other advice or recommendations on this implementation would be appreciate.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

- Jim

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
For running multiple backup to disk jobs (we're thinking we'll need 4-7 concurrent jobs to get everything backed up within our maintenance window), what server specs are recommended in terms of processor speed, processor cores, RAM, and NICs?  My thought is that RAM is most likely going to be the bottleneck, and should be beefed up.

RAM would certainly be one problem, but with 4-7 concurrent backups I'd look at the network first, and plan for multiple target devices (physical, not logical) to avoid disk contention 

Is it best to use one server to backup the data in each physical location (they are connected via fiber, so it will look to us as a single LAN), or to have two seperate servers?

I'd definitely plan on a media server in both locations

How much other traffic will there be on the connector between sites?  If you will be backing up at night, followed by DUPLICATE to tape,  with 2.5 TB, you may wind up flooding your connector during the business day.   If budget really is no problem, you may want to consider a loader/library at both locations