cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set BE 2012 to only backup most recent file in directory

CWTokyo
Level 4

Hello,

I'm running BE 2012. Is there a way to get it to back up only the most recent file in a directory? Our SQL server creates a full backup every day in a directory and the past 3 days worth of backups can be found here. The file name gets appended with the date, so the backups read like so:

backup-09282013

backup-09292013

backup-09302013

I'd like to get BE to only backup the file "backup-09302013" and ignore the other 2. I tried excluding by access date, but it didn't work; it still backs up the entire directory. I know we can probably get the SQL server to backup the current backup in a different directory and rotate them but I'm trying to minimize interference with the SQL processes.

Is this even possible with BE?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You would need to configure a Full and Incremental (using modified time) backup cycle. The Incremental backup would only backup the changes since last backup.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You would need to configure a Full and Incremental (using modified time) backup cycle. The Incremental backup would only backup the changes since last backup.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Jaydeep is absolutely right in this ... Please take a look at page 530 in the admin guide for more information on the incremental backup method.. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5211

CWTokyo
Level 4

I see. So, for example, there were always be 3 day's worth of backups in this directory, so if we do a full backup on Friday and incrementals M-Th, we'd get just the most recent one.

This won't really work for us since we're duplicating them over a 10 Mbps MPLS line and our full backups would also run during business hours which impacts the remote site. Looks like we'll have to modify our SQL backups somehow (which won't be hard - a simple batch file will copy the most recent one to another directory which can be backed up via BE.)

Thanks for the input, now I know what course of action to take.

-CWTokyo